free website stats program Air Filter dripping oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Filter dripping oil

I ride a 2001 Road King (Police)....went out for first extended ride today and found oil (& water?) dripping from the backside of the air filter cover. Not alot, but noticeable spray on the front of the right saddlebag. Got home and wiped out the backside of the filter cover. It looked like a diluted oil...any ideas?

Had the same symptoms on my 2000 Ultra. I found the two large bolts holding the breather tubes to the heads were a little loose. Snugged them up and no more oil! Had small amount dripping from a/c cover also, but not anymore.

why softails ? I have a 92 fatboy every spring on first fire up this happens then cures itself, was told this normal and not to worry, what do you think?

Think about where the oil tank is located on softails and sporties compared to baggers, it's higher than the motor and gravity takes over here.

Because they are new and redesigned too, give them a few years and a few miles and they will probably join the ranks too.

Stock dry...I'll pull it and take a look. Anything else I should be looking for?

Stock non-oil wetted element should be DRY. If oil or gas soaked, it should be replaced. Also, if you use stock HD filter it has a date code on it. :15:

Another poster in another thread was checking his and had same element for close to 10 years...don't think ANY stock dry element should be used THAT long, JMO. Hold up in sunliight or shine trouble light on the inside, if very little light goes thru it is time to change it. :s

Finally - never run your bike without ANY filter, extremely lean mixture and poor runnig will result that could damage the engine by letting dirt particles in, to burning a valve or holing a piston due to continuous running with the resultant lean mixture. :(

Since my original post, I've been able to get some miles on. A couple of good long rides seems to have taken care of the drip I had. It must have been a condensation problem, as the mixture I had seemed like mostly water. At any rate, it's not doing it anymore.
Thanks for all the replies with ideas....

Back