free website stats program Air cleaner | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Air cleaner

Fuel injector clear will help clean the piston tops.
You could look into the spark plug hole with a bore scope to see what amount of build up is on them before the treatment and than a couple thousand miles later to check for a change.
Don't tell anyone about this modification, its called tampering with the emission control system. And a tree hugger might turn you in.
I think the penalty has been extra time with soap and water cleaning the oil that blows onto the underside of the bike.

That's great. I actually run 5 ounces of Seafoam to a full tank of gas through her about once every quarter.

Any venting bypass to a "catch can" that "catches" a lot of oil means the motor is passing too much oil. Possibly a breather problem. And a PITA to have to empty. Any venting bypass to one of those purty little filters will eventually fill with oil to either drip, or clog. It's always best to just vent to atmosphere. No need for anything on the outlet of the tube. Just don't run it to where if it does drip it's not on your tire, brakes, or belt. Also, it doesn't suck so there's no need to cover it.

I agree with ThunderRogue that if you have a catch pot it will eventually leak or clog. I vented mine using a "t" to a single line and zip tied it to the frame bottom. never had a problem with anything dripping on the floor

A bit off topic, but in the same category. Does anyone know how to take the blankety blanken trim ring off of a football air cleaner cover. I don't care about damaging the ring, but I can't damage the cover.

A bit off topic, but in the same category. Does anyone know how to take the blankety blanken trim ring off of a football air cleaner cover. I don't care about damaging the ring, but I can't damage the cover.
I'd try a heat gun first. I believe it's like a 3M adhesive emblem.

Once again I agree with ThunderRogue, heat should work just do it carefully

Blankety Blanken (OMG)

I don't disagree with TRogue; how one vents is a personal choice but having a catch can or small filter has it's advantages over venting directly to the atmosphere. A catch can or fliter the clogs or requires a clean up from the oil mist passing through is an inidication that ring seal has or is deteriorating and should be addressed. So, as long as ring seal is good, a catch can or filter is harmless. No, I am not an evironmental crusader but I do have a small cannister to catch what comes out of my 98" built motor. The cannister is filled with a synthetic mesh that collects the water/oil mist from the air passing through the vented cannister. I open the cannister every oil change and replace the mesh. This also allows me to observe changes in what is passing through, i.e., volume and color which, IMHO, is good information. I have used the cannister system on both my bikes and with 25K miles on one and 35K miles on the other have yet to have a clog or blockage. Bottom line is vent to the atmosphere, one way or another. As usual, JMHO.;)

As to N. Lee's question about cleaning the piston tops Seafoam is the most common preventative but MM oil is also a good preventative. To remove what is already burned on the piston tops takes a different application of Seafoam. A mixture of Seafoam and water in a spray bottle squirted through the combustion chamber via the intake while the motor is running will remove burnt on carbon. There are plenty of YouTube how to videos, just Google "Seafoam carbon buildup".

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 5
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back