free website stats program Air cleaner | Harley Davidson Forums

Air cleaner

N Lee

Has anyone put the round air scoop air cleaner from a 2013 103 motor onto a 99-06 twin cam? I don't know why but I really like that air cleaner. i also saw a video where a guy did a really cool blow back mod on the air box of said filter. I've looked a t pictures and as far as I can tell they mount the same.

IIRC, the 2013 throttle body is 50mm and the '99-'06 throttle body is 43mm so the modification may not be a direct bolt on. Suggest getting the PN for the '13 air filter and checking fitment.;)

Well that is unfortunate news. And my overall project was going so well. Time to step back and punt I guess. Thanx

It's a modification to the air cleaner back plate (blocking the holes where the small hoses feed the residual oil back into throttle body) and rerouting those hoses outside down and away from the air cleaner either to a catch can or just to the ground. I really like you Avatar by the way.

What N Lee is referring to is simply routing head breathers to the atmoshpere. This modification is very common and there are several ways to make the mod via kits from vendors like Trask, Doherty, DK Customs, etc. DK Customs is a popular supplier of these kits. DIY is ususally cheaper and easier to "personalize" for different applications, i.e., hose type, filter/catch can and routing. Anyone on this forum runnng OEM breather setup should consider this modification. Take a look at the attached photos to see the difference between internal and external venting of head breathers. Also attached is a photo of a DIY version of this mod; head breathers routed through crank vents to a small filter.

Attachments

• internalventing.jpg
    internalventing.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 12
  • external venting.jpg
    external venting.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Doherty breathers.jpg
    Doherty breathers.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 13
Thanks Dolt you explained it much better than I. The Doherty setup is really trick. And about 150.00 cheaper than DK. Do the pistons clean up themselves after the mod or does it require removing the top end?

Do the tops of the pistons clean themselves after the mod or do you have to tear the top of the motor down and clean the pre mod gunk off?

You can add some enginecleaner to the gas. I think it's called seafoam in the states. I usely use "Forte" now and then , and before winter-storage.
There are several more brands , of this cleaner.

Back