free website stats program Aftermarket Radio | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Aftermarket Radio

To say that Harmon Kardon is "behind" and sound quality not great, do not agree, Harmon Kardon is an excellent company. Like they say you get what you pay for, but I bet HK is better sounding than Sony.

I have had harmon Kardon in the past and I agree that they make some good stuff. I have to say that I don't have a problem with Sony either. I'm sure that a big consideration to the whole system has to include the speakers. It seems that allot of people change the speakers out.

How about antennas? Do any of the power antennas under the faring work as well as they claim?

Trickydoc,
The mount for the Biketronics kit is not metal at all? How about a comparrison of the faceplate for the opening of the unit into the faring? How does that compare. Are they both plastic and do they look similar?

No, the units I installed had a composit type block to space the radio into the harley mounting. That's the reason you can use only Sony radios. They are pre-drilled for Sony and have metal threded nuts inbeded into the material. The Hawgwired kit the mounting bracket is a stamped steel piece with both bottom and side mountings drilled for various radios. The face plated are very much alike and both fit well. Both wireing harnessess are easy to connect. Liked being able to slect from several radios and like I said, it just doesn't look substantial. we only used one under fairing antenna, and it doesn't work well, going to change to whip when bracket gets here.

To say that Harmon Kardon is "behind" and sound quality not great, do not agree, Harmon Kardon is an excellent company. Like they say you get what you pay for, but I bet HK is better sounding than Sony.
Let me rephrase, Harmon kardon is quality and has great products, that being said the radio in the harley is behind. Todays electronics are so advanced and the stock radio doesnt even have an eq... I am into car audio heavily and am very dissapointed with the lack of features on the stock radio. You must admit that the unclean output and no tuning options the sound is distorted at high volume. There is no depth to the music. I personally enjoy the pioneer hu. With the tuning features of a good hu, no amp is even needed to clean up the sound.

No, the units I installed had a composit type block to space the radio into the harley mounting. That's the reason you can use only Sony radios. They are pre-drilled for Sony and have metal threded nuts inbeded into the material. The Hawgwired kit the mounting bracket is a stamped steel piece with both bottom and side mountings drilled for various radios. The face plated are very much alike and both fit well. Both wireing harnessess are easy to connect. Liked being able to slect from several radios and like I said, it just doesn't look substantial. we only used one under fairing antenna, and it doesn't work well, going to change to whip when bracket gets here.
Actually the biketronics mounting kit is designed for all normal size aftermarket radios, I used it and the BT1005 to put an alpine radio in my bike and it worked fine. All aftermarket radios use the same screw pattern.

Back