free website stats program Aftermarket Radio | Harley Davidson Forums

Aftermarket Radio

PeteINny

I have a 2008 FLHTP. I would like to add an aftermarket radio. I have seen the radios offered by companies like Biketronics.

My question is would you go for the standard radio or the Marine grade radio? Also what do you guys think about the Sony radios offered by Biketornics?

Thanks

Thanks Tank,
Is Biketronics the only game in town? Do you know of any other companies that put packages together?

In my last EG I put the Sony marine radio in and liked it. But honestly, Harley uses Harmon Kardon which blows Sony out of the water. But I would definately use a marine radio.

Tank,
I priced the Sony thru Biketronics. A standard Sony package with hogtunes and all of the components needed to get it going was $349. $40 extra for the Sony Marine upgrade. It sounds like the best way to go. The FLHTP does not have the wiring for the stock radio controlls anyway. They even told me the kit includes the radio cover. Thanks for the input.

Go with the marine radio it is designed for more abuse. Overall they are just sturdier. The componants are the same the sound is the same. Couple extra dollars and you get peace of mind, with no shorts.

Thanks,
A marine sounds like the way to go. I just wish somebody made an aftermarket radio that had the same background lights that the gages have. The stock HK radio of course matches perfect and it fills the opening of the faring. The aftermarket radios come with a faceplate to do this but I dont think that it is as good looking. With the stock HK radio, are they waterproof? Can you spray them directly with a hose? I don't think I would do this but I was just wondering what a $1000 HK would give you.

I looked into that and I don't think that I would spend $500 or more on a used radio. I would most likely go with the aftermarket radio. I have also seen quite a few on E Bay where guys are swaping them out with aftermarket brands.

I have a 2008 FLHTP. I would like to add an aftermarket radio. I have seen the radios offered by companies like Biketronics.

My question is would you go for the standard radio or the Marine grade radio? Also what do you guys think about the Sony radios offered by Biketornics?

Thanks

I have installed the Biketronics units several times for friends bikes, don't like the mounting hardware. It consist of 2 spacer blocks made from some composit material that doesn't seem strong enough to hold a radio in place.
I have the Hawgwired kit. It is made from stamped steel, and seems more suitable for holding a radio in place. The 3 Biketronics kits installed are all still working fine, mine and the one other Hawgwired kit are also doing fine. I can't say that one is a great deal better for mounting the radio, but the Biketronics unit just looks very cheezy and not very substantual. As far as the radio, the Biketronics uses only Sony, you can use several other brands with the Hawgwired kit. JMHO>

Back