free website stats program Aftermarket/OEM Brake Pads | Harley Davidson Forums

Aftermarket/OEM Brake Pads

:newsmile040:I have a 2000 FXR4 CVO with 5300 mi.I am in the market for some premium quality front and rear pads.I do not want to have to change the rotors or calipers.This bike is 100% original.Any and all advice will be appriciated.
Thanks
Gregg

I would just stick with the Genuine linings.

I can tell you 1 thing for sure. Never buy EBC linings. It's like throwing money in a paper shredder.

Hoople which EBC pads did you use. On my Buell I would only use the HH pads. I used GG once and they were awful, wore quickly and didn't have the bite that the HH have. I have Lyndall's on my Electraglide but when they wear out I will try the EBC HH
kemo

Hoople which EBC pads did you use. On my Buell I would only use the HH pads. I used GG once and they were awful, wore quickly and didn't have the bite that the HH have. I have Lyndall's on my Electraglide but when they wear out I will try the EBC HH
kemo

Kemo, Yes, I think they were the GG. They wore out in nothing flat. What really made me mad was they were said to be "Low Dusting". Not by a long shot. My wheels were covered in brake dust.

Your a nice guy and give manufactures a second chance. When I am disappointed in a product, I usually write off that company forever.:p:p

There is the other side of the equation when buying aftermarket...they may have a longer wearing compound, but may also be too hard on your brake disc...nothing worse than brake dust?...try grooved or worn discs...that would be a double yecch from yours truly. As Smitty and most HD owners would agree, the OEM pads are hard to beat for combination of durability and performance. :D

Honestly I didn't know at the time that they had different grades of pads. They ordered the GG and couldn't get them so they reordered and got the HH. They were not much more money and they stopped like the OEM pads. I swear that my old Buell (99 S3t Thunderbolt) has the best single caliper brakes ever produced.
kemo

I bought the Lyndall Racing brake pads, they fit the same as the OEM. They seem to be wearing pretty well. Just my 2 cents.

This was discussed not too long ago.

After market brake pads MIGHT wear out your rotors slightly faster but there's practically no chance of that if you stick with the OEM product. No brainer for me.

Now, if you're a racer or feel like you really need the better performance of after market pads, by all means get some.

I bought the Lyndall Racing brake pads, they fit the same as the OEM. They seem to be wearing pretty well. Just my 2 cents.

Ditto on the Lyndall for my bagger. Second season (I rack up about 18k a season), both front and rear wearing well, rotors fine, with way less dust than oem. I did have a squeak on the fronts, beveled the leading edge of the pads, all good now.

Like someone else said this has been discussed pretty thoroughly, may be worth a quick search to see what's been said

Ditto on the Lyndall for my bagger. Second season (I rack up about 18k a season), both front and rear wearing well, rotors fine, with way less dust than oem. I did have a squeak on the fronts, beveled the leading edge of the pads, all good now.

Like someone else said this has been discussed pretty thoroughly, may be worth a quick search to see what's been said

Oops my bad! Meant to say beveled the trailing edge of the pads, not the leading edge. Sooorrie :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back