free website stats program Advice | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Advice

Thanks for the fantastic response. I am very happy with the looks of my bike (Bling) so that is not the real priority. I live in the cooler climate of the Pacific Northwest and it doesn't look like we are going to worry too much about a real hot weather streak here anytime soon. I would love to be able to do all three stage 1 upgrades at once, but unfortunately I will have to spread it out over time. If I understand it correctly, adding a TFI will let me stay stock for a while but allow me to adjust the settings for a bit of an improvement over the moco's facotroy settings. then from there I can, down the road, add my exhaust and a/c upgrades, correct? I know that I can't add a/c and exhaust without a trip to the dealer to dial it all in, so thats where I am at kinda...lol Thanks again. I may try to sweet talk the co-pilot into letting me get the engine guard anyways...we'll see...:newsmile092::small3d028:

You need to specify, if you are shooting for appearance or performance. The sky is the limit. That is the beauty of ot. There are also several upgrades that improve safety:

The first thing I would do is put in a moduel to turn your rear turn signals into running/brake lights.

I also put in a combo, speedometer/tach, to enable me to determine what gear I'm in at all times.

I did not think it was safe to have to look down on the tank to see if I successfully activated my blinkers, so I added Muth turn-signal mirrors. Now when I look to see if it is safe to change lanes, I can also see that my signals are on.

How about a nice air horn, to replace the puny HD horn? I put on a Mini-beast, that looks like a smaller version of my air-box on the other side.

How about a nice Scorpio SR-i900 security system? It has a fob that auto-unlocks, a 3-stage proximity sensor, and talks to your fob up to 1/4 mile away.

Beware! It adds up. I bought my scoot for 10K, and have spent 13K more in "upgrades". It's your ride, You decide.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I am not familiar with the TFI kit. How would my '08 FLSTC with Stage1 kit and the Vance & Hines Big Shots exhaust benefit from the TFI?

With all of the three pot adjustments on the TFI, how does one know when you hit the optimum setting?

There are several model TFIs for my year and model. Which one is for my ride? A bit confusing.

I am not familiar with the TFI kit. How would my '08 FLSTC with Stage1 kit and the Vance & Hines Big Shots exhaust benefit from the TFI?

With all of the three pot adjustments on the TFI, how does one know when you hit the optimum setting?

There are several model TFIs for my year and model. Which one is for my ride? A bit confusing.

Might be an idea to go to this area and start a thread asking the question and the manufacturer will answer you
TFI Questions Answered By Dobeck - Harley Davidson Community

Brian

Alright, got a good ideal of what steps to take. I folded and went with the engine guard for the very first add-on. I have to keep her looking pretty of course. I figure the cleanest way to do the rest is all at once which means buying the a/c and TFI down the road and installing at once. I am a big fan of the original exhaust and am fine keeping them. I really like the look of the K&N Aircharger, but the price is very ugly...lol. So, with that in mind, TFI (Doebeck or TwinTec) and an Aircharger, shouldn't need any dealer for re-tune right?

Alright, got a good ideal of what steps to take. I folded and went with the engine guard for the very first add-on. I have to keep her looking pretty of course. I figure the cleanest way to do the rest is all at once which means buying the a/c and TFI down the road and installing at once. I am a big fan of the original exhaust and am fine keeping them. I really like the look of the K&N Aircharger, but the price is very ugly...lol. So, with that in mind, TFI (Doebeck or TwinTec) and an Aircharger, shouldn't need any dealer for re-tune right?

TFI gets you a discount here a good choice and with the tech support you can save the dealer tune IMO TFI Discounted - Harley Davidson Community

Then that will probably be the way to go. LOL, can't get it all at once as the co-pilot also likes long rv trips that dig into my...er... our fun money...lol shes worth it tho. :newsmile092:

Just my 0.02 worth. You won't regret that engine guard addition. Looks good and like some others, saved my handlebars and tank, etc just a few days after I added them to my Fatboy. Rock on.
Ishmael

My 2 cents:
If you get all the parts for the "stage 1" upgrade, think about install them independently the take it for a test ride. The way I did it was: exhaust, intake and then the TFI. (I actually installed the TFI when the air cleaner was off, but just left the TFI pots at zero.) I really got a "feel" of what each component did. Obviously all three together make the best "package".

Also, when I was researching this, I found the statement that the engine will run "cooler" misleading. Not that people are giving you incorrect info, by any means. I just thought that it would be significantly cooler and in my experience I couldn't detect it by "feel". Maybe if I wore shorts, but I always where jeans and chaps/leather pants. Again, the engine will technically run cooler with more fuel. Being new to it, I was expecting a "WOW" amount comparable to the "WOW" the TFI give you to the seat of your pants, taking off. Not the same, in my opinion.

Back