free website stats program Adjusting Pushrods | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Adjusting Pushrods

Great information...Thanks

After adjusting the pushrods, do they have to be re-adjusted from time to time or is it set-it and forget-it.

My opinion on this is:
set and forget

Once Set properly, Lifters should work well and Not Need further adjusting UNTIL you hear a tapping from the lifter area again.... Then more than Likely you need a new lifter or set Again...

I had one Lifter go bad after a few thousand miles of all being New... It needed to be replaced with new one, the push rod set again and it was Good to go..... Never needed to re-set any of the others,,,,, if done Right the first time.

signed....BUBBIE

Great information...Thanks

After adjusting the pushrods, do they have to be re-adjusted from time to time or is it set-it and forget-it.

Should be set and forget unless something is causing a bunch of wear, or a lifter goes bad. The other thing is if the jam nut comes loose and it lets a pushrod collapse. Should NOT happen though!

TQ

Hydraulic lifters should be set once as others have said. I had a jam nut split once so I changed all of the nuts to stainless steel custom made nuts and never another problem.
Kemo

Only if you are running solids they tend to be a bit noisey, but pretty much left for big inch and race motors:D

If you look at the tables, there are five different cuts of threads per inch, and six different possible settings for pushrod length. From cold to hot, the cylinders can expand (lengthen) up to .060 of an inch. My old lifters had .140of an inch piston travel. Having no information given with the new lifters as to pushrod length setting, I assumed that the manufacturer intended that the original non-adjustable pushrods would be used. Also, not knowing exactly what pitch of thread my pushrods had forced me to use a caliper to measure that turning the adjustment nut 19 faces equaled .100 of an inch. That's what I set them to.

Check that after market push rods do not rub on the inside of the tubes, this can make a clicking noise like a bad adjustment and can cause leaks:s

I ordered a set of Crane easy adjust push rods and they have not arrived yet. I'm installing new OEM cam chain tensioners, going the cheaper route. My first set lasted 30,000 miles. My questions is will the crane pushrods adjust down enough for me tto install my cams now, or do the push rods still need to be in the tubes?

I ordered a set of Crane easy adjust push rods and they have not arrived yet. I'm installing new OEM cam chain tensioners, going the cheaper route. My first set lasted 30,000 miles. My questions is will the crane pushrods adjust down enough for me tto install my cams now, or do the push rods still need to be in the tubes?

I can't follow the question. What exactly are you asking?

TQ

As long as you have them loose You'll be better off taking them "all the way out"... Remember you should HOLD the lifters up when removing the cams so the Lifter don't Fall into the cam chest....

I never turn or Mix my lifters when i Re use them,,,,so it is very important to me to keep them intact and to do so I Must remove the adjustable rods completely.. Using the large Paper Clip Wire Spring Fashioned to Hold them UP in place while cams are removed...

signed....BUBBIE

The chart showing the TPI of different manufacturers adjustable pushrods shows the SE to have 32 TPI. That is probably the older style (#17997-99A). The newer tapered ones (#18404-08) are 24 TPI. That's why the instructions (on the newer ones) say to turn them out 2.5 turns. Its also a good idea to shoot a little compressed air thru the adjusters and pushrods before installing them in case something is in there plugging them up. Will save you time and aggravation later if oil is not flowing thru them.

Back