free website stats program About the only thing I Don't like about my Fat Bob CVO... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

About the only thing I Don't like about my Fat Bob CVO...

Got an '09 Fat Bob CVO, Screamin Eagle, 110cu, about the only thing I don't like about the bike (only have 350 miles on er) is the hydraulic clutch.

Maybe I'll get used to it, but I love to feel and control the clutch (cable/mechanical).
Lets face it, unlike a car, its actually ok to ride/manipulate a bikes clutch, ie, parking lot, etc., but hydraulic, you are IN or OUT.

The dealership said its easier to pull a hydrolic clutch lever than cable but it seems kinda hard to squeeze at least to me, will that loosen up as the bike breaks in or can it be adjusted?

You will get used to it and you are correct on or off with hydraulic clutch. That is why is it essential to have lever pulled all the way in or out. With no free play your are technically wearing the clutch if keeping slight pressure on lever.

You will get used to it and you are correct on or off with hydraulic clutch. That is why is it essential to have lever pulled all the way in or out. With no free play your are technically wearing the clutch if keeping slight pressure on lever.

Actually mechanics have told me that on motorcycles, you don't wear the clutch like on cars by feathering or riding it some.....?

Because there is no free play the clutch is on or off. Think about your brakes slight pressure on lever or pedal and you are engaging brakes. Hope this helps.

Actually mechanics have told me that on motorcycles, you don't wear the clutch like on cars by feathering or riding it some.....?

Really? I have not heard or seen this in fact if you cant make adjustments to tour clutch it may wear faster, All clutches will wear nature of the beast in my experiences hydraulic clutches tend to wear more from lack of adjustments. Case in point Camaros with Hydraulic clutches had no adjustment on the slave cylinder until we figured out how to make an adjustable push rod, stopping the rapid wear and giving us and adjustment for free travel. Food for thought there is no such thing as a self adjusting self centering Hydraulic clutch that I have ever seen JMO from years of still wrenching and many clutch jobs:s

Really? I have not heard or seen this in fact if you cant make adjustments to tour clutch it may wear faster, All clutches will wear nature of the beast in my experiences hydraulic clutches tend to wear more from lack of adjustments. Case in point Camaros with Hydraulic clutches had no adjustment on the slave cylinder until we figured out how to make an adjustable push rod, stopping the rapid wear and giving us and adjustment for free travel. Food for thought there is no such thing as a self adjusting self centering Hydraulic clutch that I have ever seen JMO from years of still wrenching and many clutch jobs:s

Just to clarify, yes clutches wear, but how it was explained maybe was geared to ride and feather like in slow speed maneuvering, parking lots etc., that bikes have a higher tolerence for this with less impact of wear than a car. Maybe an engineer here can let us know if there is truth to this but I've heard and read it from several sources over many years, not just hydraulic either, all motorcycle clutches (so I've been told).

Just to clarify, yes clutches wear, but how it was explained maybe was geared to ride and feather like in slow speed maneuvering, parking lots etc., that bikes have a higher tolerence for this with less impact of wear than a car. Maybe an engineer here can let us know if there is truth to this but I've heard and read it from several sources over many years, not just hydraulic either, all motorcycle clutches (so I've been told).

Good point, if you take care of your bike and dont ride the clutch much it will last a long time, I cant remember the last time I wore out a stock HD clutch, The multiple plates give the bike more surface area in a small place JMO

The oil wetted clutch was designed to tolerate the slippage verses dry clutch which was closer to brake material and would glaze if subjected to light slipping a lot. Early motercycles including H-D used them...and modern race bikes use dry clutches for performance reasons only. The short life was not that much of a problem as race bikes use a "cassette" arrangement allowing them to be changed quickly. After all, they only had to last a few hours of hard use on a race weekend.:s

I cannot help but wonder why a hydraulic clutch is needed ?

Granted for disk brakes you get a better grab with hydraulic. Although I can remember not having any trouble stopping many years ago with drum, cable only brakes. But admittedly bikes are heavier nowdays.

But for a clutch why add another complication to the equation. Not sure I get that one.

Back