free website stats program About the only thing I Don't like about my Fat Bob CVO... | Harley Davidson Forums

About the only thing I Don't like about my Fat Bob CVO...

RidenChrome

Banned
Got an '09 Fat Bob CVO, Screamin Eagle, 110cu, about the only thing I don't like about the bike (only have 350 miles on er) is the hydraulic clutch.

Maybe I'll get used to it, but I love to feel and control the clutch (cable/mechanical).
Lets face it, unlike a car, its actually ok to ride/manipulate a bikes clutch, ie, parking lot, etc., but hydraulic, you are IN or OUT.

The dealership said its easier to pull a hydrolic clutch lever than cable but it seems kinda hard to squeeze at least to me, will that loosen up as the bike breaks in or can it be adjusted?

That is not right, you need some free travel, have you tried bleeding the system? I would have the dealer check this, I think the push rod is a fixed length and not adjustable, like most cages with hydralic clutches, not a good set up IMO if you can not adjust the free travel as the plates wear, Like Hoople aid no friction zone?

Hydraulic is always heavier than cable, but the new Dynas have the special light action clutch which os so much better than on my 2005 VRSCA (Hydraulic).

I had the same experience when i test rode the cvo convertable , didn't like the clutch at all . Was very jerky and like you said either in or out no in between .

With hydraulic clutch, the "friction zone" is very small, maybe 2 or 3* of lever travel. That "abrupt" actuation was a bane with the earlier designs, but I would have thought this would have been fixed by now, especially with so many years to refine it.

Before you deal with the "--they all do it...explanation" get a 2nd and 3rd HD dealer opinion before you bring it in to be sure it is listed as a problem during the warranty period...may be there is a service bulletin to improve the "FEEL".:s

Just done a service on a 09 Fat Bob CVO, also had a 05 standard in for a HD easy pull and the easy pull was easier then the hydraulic clutch. The hydraulic clutch had it over the 99-06 TC's but in 07 & later I do perfer the standard clutch, the hydraulic is ok, just takes some getting use to.

I guess the answer I liked the best (hoping it comes true) is that as the bike breaks in clutch wears in a tad it will get better. Once again, only have 350 miles on the bike so it's not broken in nor am I used to it.

Pretty sure you will start to like it. I felt the same way as you when getting my 09. I also have a 01 with a easy pull. It is so weird going from 1 bike to the other. The hydrolic is stiffer and is no fun in heavy traffic compared to the easy pull but when it comes to fun time, the hydrolic is crisp and kicks
(EDIT) !

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure you will start to like it. I felt the same way as you when getting my 09. I also have a 01 with a easy pull. It is so weird going from 1 bike to the other. The hydrolic is stiffer and is no fun in heavy traffic compared to the easy pull but when it comes to fun time, the hydrolic is crisp and kicks
(EDIT) !

Cool THANKS, makes me wanna ride to get more used to it! Hey, be careful, I was warned by the moderator for the identicle 1 letter abreviation above, I know it's rediculous but I did the same just 1 letter no dashes, if someone warned me I would have edited my letter out so thought I'd give ya heads up vs. a moderator warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back