free website stats program A lot of metal in Primary Oil | Harley Davidson Forums

A lot of metal in Primary Oil

Sgt York

A lot of metal in Primary Oil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did the 5K service on my 07 EG yesterday and noticed that it had a fair amount of metal shavings. The oil on the cover had a metalic color to it.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks

Last edited:
I did the 5K service on my 07 EG yesterday and noticed that it had a fair amount of metal shavings. The oil on the cover had a metalic color to it.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks

First, how much is "a fair amount"? Size of a pea or a long cigarette butt? What kind of fluid are you using in there? Any new or abnormal noises from the primary? Does the fluid smell "burnt"? Have you done any mods inside the primary that would account for the metal shavings?

Depending on your answers above, I am always inclined to take off the cover and look. If you do, check the torque on the compensator nut. Same on the clutch. If either are loose, take off the drive side and the clutch side and look behind them. Do the "teeth" on the rotor look wallowed out? If so, pull it off and see if some are broken or badly chipped. Look at the magnets and see if there are a lot of metal pieces on them.

Looking at the stator, are any of the coils darker than the others or black (burnt)?

Look at both sides of the chain. Are the pins through each link worn? Look at the inside of the primary cover. Any obvious sign that something has been grinding on it? Look at the teeth on the drive sprocket and on the clutch sprocket. Any chipped? Do they look "worn"?

Depending on what you see with all this checking will determine what to do next.

TQ

I would worry if its still under warranty a trip to Stealer might be in order

If it's the first change on the primary, some metal will be normal from the chain wearing in. How bad was the magnet on the drain plug?

Just a lot of very small pieces, more like fragments. Got the bike with 4,200 on it about a week and a half ago, but the previous owner had a receipt where the dealer changed all three holes at a 1k miles. Looks like they used HD 20/50 and Formula+ when the oil was changed. Second oil change at 2500 miles, they ONLY changed the engine oil. The dealer is about 350 miles from here so I can not go talk to them. Did not notice any burnt smell, but I not smell it. No mods done at this time to the bike except back rest added.

Magnet had a little on the drain plug and the other two holes did not have any.

Hope this helps and thanks

First, how much is "a fair amount"? Size of a pea or a long cigarette butt? What kind of fluid are you using in there? Any new or abnormal noises from the primary? Does the fluid smell "burnt"? Have you done any mods inside the primary that would account for the metal shavings?

Depending on your answers above, I am always inclined to take off the cover and look. If you do, check the torque on the compensator nut. Same on the clutch. If either are loose, take off the drive side and the clutch side and look behind them. Do the "teeth" on the rotor look wallowed out? If so, pull it off and see if some are broken or badly chipped. Look at the magnets and see if there are a lot of metal pieces on them.

Looking at the stator, are any of the coils darker than the others or black (burnt)?

Look at both sides of the chain. Are the pins through each link worn? Look at the inside of the primary cover. Any obvious sign that something has been grinding on it? Look at the teeth on the drive sprocket and on the clutch sprocket. Any chipped? Do they look "worn"?

Depending on what you see with all this checking will determine what to do next.

TQ

Like Glider said, a certain amount is not uncommon on the primary's magnetic plug. From what you have just said, it does not sound like a lot. If the magnet is covered in very fine metal bits (sort of a mush of fine metal) with only a few longer "slivers", I would not be too concerned. However, if the magnet has a 'fro of long slivers or even chunks of metal rather than sort of a mush of metal, then I would want to take a look inside.

TQ

Thanks for all the input. I'll wait until the next oil change to see what it looks like.

I figure I'll us Moble V-twin 20/50 in the engine, Moble 75/140 in the trans, bu tnot sure what to put in the primary that I can get for Autozone (nerest HD dealer is an hour away).

Thanks again

I personally use the following:

Amsoil 20W-50 Motorcycle Synthetic (MCV) - engine (order on-line)
Spectro 6-speed Synthetic Transmission Gear Oil 75W-140 GL-5 - transmission (order on-line)
Spectro Primary Chaincase Gear Oil 85W - primary (order on-line)

TQ

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll check the primary when the next 5k Service is due.

I now have Moble V-twin 20/50 in the engine and primary and Moble1 Synthetic 75/90 in the trans.

Please bear with me but I have one more dumb question about oil. Will running Moble V-twin 20/50 in the primary work or sould I change it to HD Formula+. Hate to buy 3 differant oils every 5k.

Thanks

Back