free website stats program 96" andrews 37 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

96" andrews 37

Guess I should have been more clear as to my goal. I will be big boring and having headwork done ,,etc,at a later date. I know enough about cams to be dangerous. The intake timing on the 254's just seems weird to me ...The opening event ...Most of my cam choice experience comes from years of performance bbc boat stuff. You don't need to tell me different animal ....I know that much. In the end I'm just wanting my bike to run respectable...A stock Harley whatever is a dog IMO,...The 37's in my old flht were a good fit for me (especially after I did the big bore and top end)....so that is why my initial question was asked

Even if you install a 4* advance sprocket with the 254s, the intake close is still 39*; the advance sprocket will help but won't achieve your goal. IMHO, always better to get the right cam rather that try to "put lipstick on a pig" with an advance sprocket.

The 37's set at 10:1 with the right exhaust, decent heads and right exhaust will roll off some good numbers. If you were to go that way, I would suggest boring to 3.938" for 107", use a domed piston to get the compression up and minmimize the cutting on the heads to achieve the desired compression. JMHO but the 37 has been around a long time and while still a good all around cam, there have been some better profiles produced since by S&S and TMan and Andrews. If you like the 37s, take a look at the 57s, same profile but more lift. Go to the Big Boyz website and use their compression calculator to configure your build. CP pistons are available in that bore in a 3cc and 6cc dome. Better to have headwork done and end up with 89cc-90cc chambers and domed piston than cut the heads down to 76cc-78cc for flat top pistons. The small chamber volume makes those head useless for future builds or for sale to a future buyer because they are cam limited.

Best advice I can give is take your time, don't make quick decisions, find a head porter you have confidence in and work with the porter to develop a build plan. Don Dorfman (Dewey's Heads) and Kirby Apathy (VTwin Performance), Scott Palmer (Hillside Cylces), Steve (GMR Perfromance) comet to mind.

While I know and agree a lot has been done with cam technology thru the years .IMO there are some workhorse grinds that are never a bad choice. Again, my experience is bbc marine. By workhorse ,I'm meaning <makes good power and ez on parts (reliable).I don't want super fast ramps and a noisy valve train. Any reliable,quiet, makes good power cams you can recommend for a daily rider that tends to run at the front of the pack As far as headwork, have you or anyone else here tried Dan Vance. I'm all in on hi velocity porting but not sure if this is hype or not...
Dan Vance Racing, Harley, Twin Cam, performance kits,
Even if you install a 4* advance sprocket with the 254s, the intake close is still 39*; the advance sprocket will help but won't achieve your goal. IMHO, always better to get the right cam rather that try to "put lipstick on a pig" with an advance sprocket.

The 37's set at 10:1 with the right exhaust, decent heads and right exhaust will roll off some good numbers. If you were to go that way, I would suggest boring to 3.938" for 107", use a domed piston to get the compression up and minmimize the cutting on the heads to achieve the desired compression. JMHO but the 37 has been around a long time and while still a good all around cam, there have been some better profiles produced since by S&S and TMan and Andrews. If you like the 37s, take a look at the 57s, same profile but more lift. Go to the Big Boyz website and use their compression calculator to configure your build. CP pistons are available in that bore in a 3cc and 6cc dome. Better to have headwork done and end up with 89cc-90cc chambers and domed piston than cut the heads down to 76cc-78cc for flat top pistons. The small chamber volume makes those head useless for future builds or for sale to a future buyer because they are cam limited.

Best advice I can give is take your time, don't make quick decisions, find a head porter you have confidence in and work with the porter to develop a build plan. Don Dorfman (Dewey's Heads) and Kirby Apathy (VTwin Performance), Scott Palmer (Hillside Cylces), Steve (GMR Perfromance) comet to mind.

I have a set of his heads on my 95 inch build and this bike rocks he has a lot experience in racing building engines and head porting he does an awesome jog on heads give him a call you wont be dissapointed

While I know and agree a lot has been done with cam technology thru the years .IMO there are some workhorse grinds that are never a bad choice. Again, my experience is bbc marine. By workhorse ,I'm meaning <makes good power and ez on parts (reliable).I don't want super fast ramps and a noisy valve train. Any reliable,quiet, makes good power cams you can recommend for a daily rider that tends to run at the front of the pack As far as headwork, have you or anyone else here tried Dan Vance. I'm all in on hi velocity porting but not sure if this is hype or not...

I can suggest several cams that are reliable, quiet and make good power but running at the front of the pack really depends on the rider.:D Woods cams typically make very good numbers and you see them win a lot of dyno shootouts but they are noisy; very fast ramps so I would suggest you avoid his cams.

I have not run any Dan Vance heads but have spoken with him on the phone and he has a good rep on other forums and among his peers. As I said in my previous, once you select a porter, work with the porter on cam selection. There are S&S, TMan and Andrews grinds that are reliable, quiet and make good power. I would suggest that you keep lift under .600"; easier on the valve train and no roller rockers required. Let us know what you decide.:coffee

Back