free website stats program 96" andrews 37 | Harley Davidson Forums

96" andrews 37

motor

In my last bike (99 flht 95") I was running Andrews 37 cams .My new bike (2009 flhx 96") has SE 254 cams .Not a big fan of the 254's.The 99 carb motor has crane hi 5 ignition..The 09 has a v&h fuel processor. The 99 just runs better for my riding style .Are the 37 cams a good match for my 2009 .
Both bike have 2-1 pipes (99 has Bassani ) (09 has pro pipe).Both have free flowing filters.
The 2009 I bought as it is .The 99 I bought stock and did the big bore and cams myself. Also added pipe,breather and crane ignition
I like my throttle to feel like a rheostat and on the 2009 it doesn't .
Any input appreciated.

In my last bike (99 flht 95") I was running Andrews 37 cams .My new bike (2009 flhx 96") has SE 254 cams .Not a big fan of the 254's.The 99 carb motor has crane hi 5 ignition..The 09 has a v&h fuel processor. The 99 just runs better for my riding style .Are the 37 cams a good match for my 2009 .
Both bike have 2-1 pipes (99 has Bassani ) (09 has pro pipe).Both have free flowing filters.
The 2009 I bought as it is .The 99 I bought stock and did the big bore and cams myself. Also added pipe,breather and crane ignition
I like my throttle to feel like a rheostat and on the 2009 it doesn't .
Any input appreciated.

TWO Totally Different animals:

The Cams you uses in a 09 would be better at the 57 over the 37.

The Difference is the 57 has more lift.....Both have the very same cam specks
Difference of LIFT 37=.510 lift and the 57 has=.560 lift

The newer 09 would benefit BIG from the added lift of the 57 and it is a Bolt In. PLUS ADDED COMPRESSION IS NEEDED in my book.

There are other cams but you asked about the 37....MY choice for the 09 is the 57 OVER the 37.
The thing I see here IS with this cam (either one) you are closing the intake at 38* and that will NOT produce the same as the stock Cam the bike came out with, as it closes intake at 30* CCC will be Lower.. Now Check the ccc in your new bike and let us know the ccc as the new bike MIGHT have had a compression increase to use that 254 cams.OR IF NOT...... That IS the PROBLEM here... That cam closes intake at 43* and WITHOUT ADDED compression it will be a DOG...

A ccc is the easiest way to see IF the 09 was set up correctly.......

Let Me Know please the ccc numbers... My bet is they just Tossed in that 254 without a compression Boost and IT Is the Dog it will be...

signed....BUBBIE

signed....BUBBIE

I understand the late closing event and not enough compression for same .What blows me away about the 254's is it's late intake opening.Seems like a tuned pipe is lost on the 254's ?...Didn't know about the 57's thanks

Andrews 48, SE255 or S&S 583 would all be better than the 57, IMHO. Your static CR will be about 9.3 and all of the above would like a bit more. The 48 would be my choice for a bolt in 96" cam only upgrade. If pulling the heads for work and could bump the compression to 9.8-10 range opens up more options including the Andrews 57 but again, JMHO, the S&S 583 would be my choice with more compression.:coffee

Hey Bubbie,
I'm looking to add a bit more zip to the 96ci in my Harley.
I have stock headers with after market exhaust (rinehart).
I'd like to just add true duels or 2 into 1 exhaust with an up graded set of cams.
Other wise a big bore kit .
Not trying to hijack this thead just tripping to get some info.
Thanks
WAP.gif

Andrews 48, SE255 or S&S 583 would all be better than the 57, IMHO. Your static CR will be about 9.3 and all of the above would like a bit more. The 48 would be my choice for a bolt in 96" cam only upgrade. If pulling the heads for work and could bump the compression to 9.8-10 range opens up more options including the Andrews 57 but again, JMHO, the S&S 583 would be my choice with more compression.:coffee

I gotta say ,I put a set of Andrews 37's in my stock 99 flht. No big bore ,no headwork.Just cycle shack mufflers ,free flowing air cleaner and cams .It ran good .a lot better than these 254's in my 09 flhx with basically the same setup .Later I did a bigbore, headwork add compression.2-1 bassani pipe. crane ignition .Minor carb massage (stock cv 40) to the 99 and it ended up being just what I had shot for ..But it wasn't a Dog with just the 37's in basically a stock motor

I gotta say ,I put a set of Andrews 37's in my stock 99 flht. No big bore ,no headwork.Just cycle shack mufflers ,free flowing air cleaner and cams .It ran good .a lot better than these 254's in my 09 flhx with basically the same setup .Later I did a bigbore, headwork add compression.2-1 bassani pipe. crane ignition .Minor carb massage (stock cv 40) to the 99 and it ended up being just what I had shot for ..But it wasn't a Dog with just the 37's in basically a stock motor

Not knocking the 37; one of the best all around aftermarket cams for a mild build. However, the OP was asking if the 37 was a good bolt in for a cam only upgrade to his otherwise stock 96" motor. There are better options for bolt in cams for his application that will achieve the "rheostat" feel to the throttle that he is looking for. A set of OEM cams would be better than the 254.:bigsmiley21:

I don't believe I said anything negative about the Andrews 37 cams. IMHO, it is one of the best all around aftermarket cams for a mild build or even in a stocker. The 37, like many aftermarket cams will respond to higher than stock compression but is certainly an improvement over a stock cam in a stock application.

However, the OP was asking if the 37 was a good bolt in for a cam only upgrade to his otherwise stock 96" motor. IMHO, there are better options for bolt in cams for his application that will achieve the "rheostat" feel to the throttle that he is looking for. So, if he is going to buy a cam set, why not get the most performance possible, which would not be from the 37s.:bigsmiley21:

Guess I should have been more clear as to my goal. I will be big boring and having headwork done ,,etc,at a later date. I know enough about cams to be dangerous. The intake timing on the 254's just seems weird to me ...The opening event ...Most of my cam choice experience comes from years of performance bbc boat stuff. You don't need to tell me different animal ....I know that much. In the end I'm just wanting my bike to run respectable...A stock Harley whatever is a dog IMO,...The 37's in my old flht were a good fit for me (especially after I did the big bore and top end)....so that is why my initial question was asked
I don't believe I said anything negative about the Andrews 37 cams. IMHO, it is one of the best all around aftermarket cams for a mild build or even in a stocker. The 37, like many aftermarket cams will respond to higher than stock compression but is certainly an improvement over a stock cam in a stock application.

However, the OP was asking if the 37 was a good bolt in for a cam only upgrade to his otherwise stock 96" motor. IMHO, there are better options for bolt in cams for his application that will achieve the "rheostat" feel to the throttle that he is looking for. So, if he is going to buy a cam set, why not get the most performance possible, which would not be from the 37s.:bigsmiley21:

The 254's will come to life for you if you add and Andrews 4 degree advance sprocket to the package.

Back