free website stats program 48 States- Leg 2 | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

48 States- Leg 2

Thursday 7/02

Headed out this morning to ride the Black Hills. If you have never been here to ride, put it on your bucket list. They are beautiful, the riding is great, just do it!

Started riding up Vanocker Canyon from Sturgis. This is a very nice ride, not demanding except for Rainbow Corner. Watch out for this one, pay attention and you will be fine. This is mountain riding at its best. Ride, sightsee, just don’t do them together. This is typical of the canyon.
IMG_0575.jpg

Took a left on Nemo Road at the end of Vanocker Canyon, through Nemo and right onto 173 (signs say Norris peak Road), then a right on 44 which will take you back to 385, the main north-south road through the Black Hills. Heading south on 385 takes you past Pactola Reservoir and Sheridan Lake. This is Pactola.
IMG_0577.jpg

A left turn on 16 and a right on 16A will have you heading for Iron Mountain Road. After you pass through Keystone, a Mt Rushmore tourist trap, 16A turns to the left. Going straight will take you to Mt Rushmore. In a short time on 16A you will encounter the pigtails. These are 360 degree corkscrew turns that take you over or under your path, but slowly, they are tight. In this photo, I am standing at the top end of the 3rd pigtail. You can clearly see the road bending and climbing to the left after exiting directly underneath where I am standing.
IMG_0580.jpg

After the 2nd pigtail, you will shortly be at the entrance to the first tunnel. These are narrow tunnels, blow your horn and look closely prior to proceeding, you will not be able to pass anything in them. There are a total of 3 tunnels on this road, and everyone of them points at Mt Rushmore, giving you a wonderful view. Stop and admire the view, then think of the engineering feat that drilled these tunnels so exact.
IMG_0582.jpg

Here’s a close-up of Mt Rushmore.
IMG_0585.jpg

Coming down off the mountain, you will pass the Wolf People. I have never stopped here for some reason. Maybe next trip.
IMG_0587.jpg

As you continue to follow 16A, you will enter Custer State Park. It will cost you $6 for a motorcycle pass, good for a week. If you are staying in the area, devote a day for the park. Frequent visitors to the park roads are the burros that roam free, looking for handouts. I have so many pictures of them that I usually don’t stop anymore, but this foal (?) caught my attention.
IMG_0590.jpg

Make a right turn onto hwy 87, the Needles Highway. This starts out as a nice easy ride, getting more technical with each mile. At the top, you will pass through a long narrow tunnel with parking at the exit. Stop and look around. Locate the ‘Eye of the Needle’ and you will be rewarded with a great photo. These are some of the views you will see on the way up.
IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

This is the tunnel you will have just passed through. It is 8’4” wide. I watched a guy take a dually pickup through here last year, tore up one of his fenders. Cars & small trucks only!
IMG_05981.jpg

As luck would have it, the clouds that had been piling up all day caught me. I followed 87 back to 385, and was heading north to Lead, SD. Got about half way there and had to take shelter at Kactus Kims. Enjoyed lunch while I waited out the flood. This was a heavy rainstorm.
IMG_06011.jpg

Once the worst of the storm cleared (about an hour), I put on my raingear and continued into Lead to get another ABC point, then south on 85/14A to Cheyenne Crossing. Take a right where 14A splits and you will be in Spearfish Canyon, heading downstream. Another several miles of great riding And scenery. Stop for the waterfalls.
IMG_06061.jpg

IMG_06121.jpg

That's about it for today. Heading into WY tomorrow and on down to CO to visit my sister and get that new tire. Enjoy your riding and keep the rubber side down.

Appreciate the takealong, Jake. Leaving Ohio for Puget Sound next month and you've provided a few detours for me to check out. Another year or two until Every Day Is Saturday for me. When it rolls around I'll be following your lead.

TL

Well this is my dream being lived out by someone else. What a trip, and you aint bad at photography either. Keep posting and making my dream come true. One day I will do this in reality, but until then please don't wake me. Ride safe.

Friday 7/03

First, thanks for all of the kind words. I appreciate your comments and hope I have made some of you a little happier.

Today was rain day. I had hoped that the rainbow I saw over the campground last night portended a nice day. Alas, the best laid plans o’ mice & men ….
IMG_0614.jpg

This is the cloud bank that greeted me this morning. Unfortunately, it is almost directly in-line with my travel plans.
IMG_0619.jpg

I headed south on 14A to Deadwood. On the south edge of Deadwood, I stopped and put on my rain suit. My luck had been broken big time. It rained continuously almost all the way into Cheyenne, Wyoming.
IMG_0620.jpg

From Deadwood, I took US 85 south. This goes through the western edge of the Black Hills, and is a beautiful ride, all the way to New Castle, WY. A few of the sites along the way …
IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

This is at a scenic pullout just north of New Castle.
IMG_0623.jpg

After New Castle, you are out of the Black Hills and into rolling prairie.
IMG_0624.jpg

It stopped raining for a while and I took off my rain jacket. A few miles later I got on WY 120 and ran back into the rain for the rest of the way to Cheyenne. WY 120 does go over a ridge line that is covered with trees and rock formations.
IMG_0629.jpg

About 30 miles north of Cheyenne it finally started to clear and the road dried up. Time to get out of the rain suit. This was about 1300.
IMG_0633.jpg

Shortly after entering Colorado on I-25, you see this big guy on the hill top.
IMG_0634.jpg

As I ran down I-25, you could see rain storms about every 5 miles along the edge of the mountains. As I got close to Loveland, I saw this beaut and just knew it was in my path.
IMG_0639.jpg

Sure enough, I had to wait it out at a Cold Stone Creamery. Banana Caramel Crunch is really good.
IMG_0640.jpg

Once the storm blew over I made it to my Sister’s. The bike goes into the shop in the morning for a new back tire and I get to rest a little. Probably no posts until I hit the road again in a few days.

Hey Jake, it's about time you slowed down. :s Sounds like your having a great time.
Thanks for stopping by for the cold ones when you were in town, too bad you couldn't have stayed a couple days when you where here. You missed a great party, but I'm glad I got to meet ya just the same. :hii I haven't been on here much lately due to computer complications and working. I think this is my first post since we met.
Anyway, Like I said, I'm glad we met and Stay safe on the road. Have a great d 4TH of July. :bigsmiley22::cheers I think we're off to another PARTY!!!:rider

Wowh what an adventure Jake. Thank you for sharing this amazing experience with us. Beautiful pictures and great commentry.

Back