free website stats program 2011 Ultra Gas fumes after shut off | Harley Davidson Forums

2011 Ultra Gas fumes after shut off

Iceridge

I purchased a brand new 2011 Ultra in April, after the 500 mile break in period I started noticing gas fume odors after shut down. This became so bad that my other cars and home started filling with the odor, after 5 trips to Harley service I was told it was the catalitic converter, so I paid Harley and had them replace the headers without the converter. It did not help. I contacted Harley direct and they have a factory rep who is to contact me in the next 2 months, a month has gone by without a call. My only conclusion is that it has to do with the EIF as it seems to be the worst when it is hot out and I've driven for an hour or so. Once in a great while I will hear whirring noises when I turn on the ignition, then when the engine is running it almost sounds like a washing machine running in the gas tank, then all is back to normal, the bike usually will not smell after this behavior. I have owned 4 new bikes in 10 years, this is not normal and frankly it is a dangerous situation. I'm still waiting for the factory rep, any ideas?

Try to be patient. The factory rep at the Harley dealer I worked in only came to store every 3 months. But still call dealer on a occasion to find out rep's schedule. Just for a try, ask Harley dealer to give you a new gas cap, go for a ride and see what happens...
I assume you are not getting a check engine light so there maybe a vent problem in cap..

I purchased a brand new 2011 Ultra in April, after the 500 mile break in period I started noticing gas fume odors after shut down. This became so bad that my other cars and home started filling with the odor, after 5 trips to Harley service I was told it was the catalitic converter, so I paid Harley and had them replace the headers without the converter. It did not help. I contacted Harley direct and they have a factory rep who is to contact me in the next 2 months, a month has gone by without a call. My only conclusion is that it has to do with the EIF as it seems to be the worst when it is hot out and I've driven for an hour or so. Once in a great while I will hear whirring noises when I turn on the ignition, then when the engine is running it almost sounds like a washing machine running in the gas tank, then all is back to normal, the bike usually will not smell after this behavior. I have owned 4 new bikes in 10 years, this is not normal and frankly it is a dangerous situation. I'm still waiting for the factory rep, any ideas?
I'm getting the same thing with my 11 SG!

Its driving me nuts, just got off the bike, thought it might be the eif had that turned off, didn't help, garage is full of fumes and part of the house. Keep thinking it will go away. Such a great bike to drive, although I don't like the pinging noise from the valves when the engine is under a load. Oh well.

Next time out before pulling in garage shut bike off and remove gas cap to relieve pressure, and see about a new gas cap....

garage is full of fumes

When you purchase fuel, fill the tank to the brim. Tighten the gas cap like you normally would. Get on the bike and accelerate hard. Does ANY fuel weep out of the gas cap and down the side of the tank? It should not. Try this test.

The noise in your tank makes me suspicious of some contaminant intermittently getting into the fuel pump. No guess as to how that would contribute to the fumes after shut down. If you leave your device at the dealer, the lemon law might kick in if you are without it for a certain minimum period and either win you a complete refund or another machine. Check into your state lemon law if only as a pressure point to get the dealer off top dead center or the factory rep. to put you at the top of his list.

Have you checked the length of the vapor line for being cracked, disconnected, or a break in the canister?

Welcome to my world, I have had this problem with my 09 EG since it was new. Seems as though it only happens when I come in after a long ride. Have taken the bike back to the dealer so many times for this they are tired of hearing about. I got to the point that I had them put it in writing that they are un-capable of fixing the problem. The reason I did this was just in case my garage blew up I had a reason as to why and should it cause damage down the road to the bike they would have to cover it.
Now I did discover that if you take the bike and allow it it to rest for a minute and then Idel it in to the garage rather than just pulling in you end up with less smell. You can also ensure you keep the tank full as this allows for less gas expansion (less vapors) in the tank.
If you don't mind keep me informed on what the Factory Rep says, cause as it stands the guys at my dealership who are usually very good at what they do, don't have a clue.

Next time out before pulling in garage shut bike off and remove gas cap to relieve pressure, and see about a new gas cap....

Funny you mentioned that, I did that by accident.

I have also noticed the fumes (sometimes) when I stop the Sportster in the garage. I also pull into the garage with the Dyna, but notice no fumes. Only the Sportster.

I had a Skull gas cap. It started to spin when on the highway. The shop was nice enough to give me another one, and this new one fits a lot tighter.

I noticed the fumes again yesterday. And it has happened with both tight and loose caps.

Now, it's not pungent like you might smell at a filling station, just a wiff. And when the bike cools down later, and I return to wipe it down, I smell nothing. I wonder if it's not the cap, but some emission from the pipes.

Back