free website stats program 2010 RKC Air Filter Cover | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 RKC Air Filter Cover

bobalu

Hello all,

I'm going to get this Kuryakyn air filter cover for my 2010 RKC (96 ci Twin Cam):

Scarab™ Air Cleaner Covers | Air Cleaners | Küryakyn

I just like how it looks, not looking for any performance change. My question is:

It's just a "cover" replacing the OEM one. Stock HD air filter will remain. Kuryakyn claims the openings "add additional air flow" (I couldn't care less). While that may be true, there will be no change in performance from a cover, right? Increased air flow is irrelevant because the air filter dictates how much air will actually be drawn in (i.e.: adding a K&N high flow filter). The filter cover does nothing for performance regardless of how much air flow is added. Is this correct? Seems misleading to me, but as I said, I'm just interested in the looks of it.

Hello all,

I'm going to get this Kuryakyn air filter cover for my 2010 RKC (96 ci Twin Cam):

Scarab™ Air Cleaner Covers | Air Cleaners | Küryakyn

I just like how it looks, not looking for any performance change. My question is:

It's just a "cover" replacing the OEM one. Stock HD air filter will remain. Kuryakyn claims the openings "add additional air flow" (I couldn't care less). While that may be true, there will be no change in performance from a cover, right? Increased air flow is irrelevant because the air filter dictates how much air will actually be drawn in (i.e.: adding a K&N high flow filter). The filter cover does nothing for performance regardless of how much air flow is added. Is this correct? Seems misleading to me, but as I said, I'm just interested in the looks of it.

From what I see on picture. I believe that it will just a "cover" replacing. If you want to draw more air then you will need to go thru stage 1 (open air filter, tuner, and exhaust) which you don't want to...

From what I see on picture. I believe that it will just a "cover" replacing. If you want to draw more air then you will need to go thru stage 1 (open air filter, tuner, and exhaust) which you don't want to...

I disagree...that cover will allow more airflow than stock even with the stock air filter. Your stock cover sits sealed on the plastic housing which has an opening of about 4" long. So with the Kury cover which is opened up as well, you will be running a little leaner but your bikes computer should compensate for that. If you change your mufflers too then some fuel management should be in order like a stage 1 download or fuel tuner.

I would realy look @ a stage 1 twin cam air filter by H.D./Screaming Eagle , there is plenty of good looking covers that go with the stage 1 up grade - example Forged billet air cleaner cover part#29745-00A , Chisel Extreme Billet or heavy breather air cleaner . Priced from $100-$300 . Yes it does add performance & that's all good !!

Sorry, I'm still not getting how an air filter cover will get more air into the engine. The stock air filter actually dictates the air intake volume, no? For example, if you somehow ran the stock air filter with no cover at all, it still wouldn't change how much air is being drawn in. You would have to change to a high flow filter to do that (thats my thought anyway, but I really don't know for sure).

Any knowledgable engine tuners out there to chime in on the engineering truth here? I definitely don't want my engine running any leaner and will pass on the whole idea if thats the case. Not interested in Stage 1 mods. I just like the look of the cover (cosmetic change only for me).

If you remove the cover, more air CAN be taken in (not necessarily will be). At nominal throttle settings, the engine gets plenty of air with any cover or filter. It's at high throttle that engine requirements change. Harley designs the whole air box assembly to comply with EPA noise regulations. Most people don't notice the sound the intake makes, but the EPA does. A lot of the sound of the good old American muscle cars was the great sucking sound of the big or multiple carbs.

Sorry, I'm still not getting how an air filter cover will get more air into the engine. The stock air filter actually dictates the air intake volume, no? For example, if you somehow ran the stock air filter with no cover at all, it still wouldn't change how much air is being drawn in. You would have to change to a high flow filter to do that (thats my thought anyway, but I really don't know for sure).

Any knowledgable engine tuners out there to chime in on the engineering truth here? I definitely don't want my engine running any leaner and will pass on the whole idea if thats the case. Not interested in Stage 1 mods. I just like the look of the cover (cosmetic change only for me).

I just talked to a mechanic friend of mine and you are right about the stock air filter intake volume...you may get a tiny bit more airflow but nothing to worry about. Sorry if I mislead you earlier.

If you remove the cover, more air CAN be taken in (not necessarily will be). At nominal throttle settings, the engine gets plenty of air with any cover or filter. It's at high throttle that engine requirements change. Harley designs the whole air box assembly to comply with EPA noise regulations. Most people don't notice the sound the intake makes, but the EPA does. A lot of the sound of the good old American muscle cars was the great sucking sound of the big or multiple carbs.

Good point Pete, remembering the days of cutting the snorkel off quadrajunk air cleaners and flipping the lid over to suck more air and get that sound:s

My 2013 That I just got has the stock air filter and big Louie exhaust with 2 1/4 baffles and I was told nothing else needs to be done, I could do a screaming eagle filter and download if I wanted, but I was told nothing else needs to be done with just adding that exhaust. ( actually it came that way )

Back