free website stats program 2009 Rear Cylinder Cut-out Feature | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Rear Cylinder Cut-out Feature

Steve Di.

I saw a discussion about a new feature included in the 2009 model year referred to as rear cylinder cut-out. It is a novel system that is designed to cool the rear cylinder by only pumping air through it and is done at a time when there is minimal airflow over the cooling fins and the rider is most sensitive to the engine's heat. The system works by simply cutting out the fuel flow to the rear cylinder when the bike is stopped.This sounds like a good idea in theory, but I wonder how effective the cooling is and if there have been any problems with this new design.

Although automotive technology has come along way since Cadillac introduced the 8-6-4 disaster, I can't help thinking that until all the bugs are worked out, there will be many aggravated riders limping home on only one cylinder.

not sure how it works on the 09 but the 08 it only shuts down the rear cylinder if it gets to hot and you dont touch throttle ...soon as you touch throttle it restarts the rear cylinder or start to let the clutch out in gear

Like Bud said, the 2008's have it too. Not a single problem with it so far.

The Harley engineers in the brief discussion I saw indicated the system is fully automatic and did not mention a temperature threshold.

What does your engine sound like when idling on only one cylinder?

like its running on one cylinder hard to describe ... smells funny to read you owners manual it will explaine how it works

it will sound like a big four sroke dirt bike on 1 cylinder, if you have any problems with it the bike can be reflashed with a standard cal that doesnt have "EITMS". but you would have to do alot of sitting around to have it work.

My 07 has it,smells like sulpher is my description,only had it go on sitting in Gatlinburg last summer,didn't know I had it I thought the bike had broken:(

Thinking along the lines of an engineer, if bike goes into "self preservation" mode rather than overheat while in traffic on a hot day sounds like a very good thing with few complaints and plenty of positives including giving the user abiliity to enable or disable with a "twist of the wrist"...kudos to HD making a change that is under the radar of the rider and not taking "away" from the flavor of the bike. :)

Back