free website stats program 2008 Softail-Rear cylinder cut out.Hot or Cold | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 Softail-Rear cylinder cut out.Hot or Cold

Hello Brutal,
I've given him my temp gun to see for sure which cylinder is doing what.
He didn't take the bike to the shop today. Hopefully soon.
cheers
brt650

Well It's been 12 months since this has happened. And guess what? It started again yesterday. Idles fine on start up and within 100 metres it starts running poorly. He blames the rear cylinder again. We never actually found anything last time. Since that time I have loaded a Super tuner update file.
I'll go down to his place tomorrow and take my desktop, because that's the only computer I have with a serial terminal.
I'll see what shows up.
If you have any idea's , they would be greatly appreciated. As before it's not showing any fault logs.
Cheers
Brian:)

An update,
So far so good.
Replaced the rear cylinder o2 sensor.
He also removed the throttle body to replace the o rings in case it was sucking air. He noticed the rear cylinder inlet tract was washed clean and the front a little black with gum.We are thinking it was running the rear cylinder richer. Haven't put it on the computer either to check it. A distance problem there, he lives on the other side of town. And who wants to spend time with there boss outside of work?
It has been a week and no problems since.
brt650

Idles fine on start up and within 100 metres it starts running poorly.

Is it really that soon (just 300 feet) or it it more like 5 minutes from when the engine was started. I am think the problem is hidden until the system goes closed loop and goes off cold enrichment mode. But 300 feet (less than a minute) is not long enough in time for the ECM to come out of choke/engine warm up.

The extra enrichment of open loop warm up can hide problems. My guess is that if you didn't ride the bike at all, once warmed up the problem would appear.
Using the data screen of the Super Tuner, monitor the "warm up enrichment" (or offset value) field and see if the bike goes south when the engine ECM toggles from open loop to closed loop. That will tell you if it is fuel related.

Hello Hoople,
I believe the bike is in closed loop when it plays up. I'm only going off what he tells me. I imagine he warms the bike for some time before take off as he has a steep driveway from his shed to the road.The bike is probably already warm when it does it.He doesn't have a super tuner , only race tuner.
Since doing this we have heard of a similar problem with a 2009 fatboy. Would have liked to have known this before.The 02 sensor was cheap also. 50 Aus dollars.
Thank you for you help.
brt650 :)

Back