free website stats program 2008 Softail-Rear cylinder cut out.Hot or Cold | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 Softail-Rear cylinder cut out.Hot or Cold

brt650

My mate has a 2008 Softail. Lately it has developed a rear cylinder cut out problem. I have been reading about the IETMS system. I checked for DTC'S this morning and nothing showing up. Each time it happens ,he changes the rear plug and away it goes.The plug doesn't appear fouled. Because it is so intermittant ,he hasn't yet checked to see if there is a spark or fuel fault. He will next time it happen's, but I was wondering if anyone has come across this concern. The bike has a race tuner and S/E mufflers. 47,000 km's. He has replaced the plug leads also. He is going to get the local dealer to put in the latest tune next week. He has already talked to the dealer when this first happened. They couldn't give him any answers.I for one know you guy's know more than them. Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks
brt650

but I was wondering if anyone has come across this concern.

I have not but.....If I was dealing with a problem such as this, after changing the plug and the rear cylinder starts working, I would re-install the BAD plug just to confirm the original problem does come back.

You want to make absolutely SURE the new plug is in fact fixing the problem. Sometimes just turning off an engine and letting it sit for 5 minutes (while you change the plug) can hide a problem and lead you to believe the plug fixed the problem. In order to CONFIRM the plug did fix the problem, re-install the bad plug to witness the problem re-appearing. Once you know that the plug really does fix the problem, it will make finding the root cause a lot easier.

Based on what you said, ("Each time it happens..") it sounds like you have changed the rear a couple of times already. I would be very surprised if when you re-install the "bad" plug,,, the engine once again runs bad...

If you are using Genuine HD plugs (6R12?), just for fun measure the resistance of the bad plug to make sure the internal resistor has not opened up. You should read something like 15K-30K.

The bike hasn't had any work as yet. Race tuner ,air cleaner and mufflers. It's still a new bike ,regardless of km's. Sound's funny I know. But it's not like mine where I've had everything apart.I hope mine deoesn't develope a hiccup as I wouldn't know where to start looking.
I'm of the opinion it's EITMS related. Since it doesn't register a DTC , it must be a parameter that the computer see's as being acceptable.
I'll let you know after the bike has an update on Friday if the dealer finds an issue with anything.
I like the swap plug front to back idea and I'll suggest that to him.
Thanks again
brt650 :D

You swap the plugs and you still have the miss. How will you really know the miss-fire went from the rear to the front. If you can tell the difference by ear or by feeling the temp of the cylinder, your better than I am. It is probably not a complete "dead miss" and just a 'skip' so you can't pull a plug wire to see. (?)

I'm of the opinion it's EITMS related. Since it doesn't register a DTC , it must be a parameter that the computer see's as being acceptable.

You have a good point. The ECM will only post a code for temp sensors that read infinity or are dead shorted. If it's just out of calibration, the ECM would never know it. If the engine misses at idle, and as soon as you lift the RPM off idle, the problem goes away, then it may be the EITMS kicking in like you said.

Hello hoople,
I don't know how he checked the rear cylinder. Him and I are mechanic's. Him being my boss as well. If it's like at work he would have someone else figure it out for him. Ha ha
I'll keep you posted.
Cheers
Brian :)

Hello Bud White
In the set up using Race Tuner on Big Twins. EITMS is available to be turned on or off on Softails.EITMS Default is off.
It maybe possible it has been turned on when he had the race tuner upgrade performed when he purchased the bike. We don't know what configuration it has. Hopefully he is taking it in tomorrow.
Update on it being the rear cylinder. He guessed it was that one. Go figure.
Cheers
brt650 :)

When EITMS is enabled the rear cyl cuts off but only at idle and in hot situations like sitting in traffic. And as soon as throttle is applied the rear cyl comes "back on" Is this what the bike is doing or is the rear cyl still not firing under load?

Back