free website stats program 2007 FB noise in 5th gear. | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 FB noise in 5th gear.

With the new 96 motors and the cruise drive trans, I feel it's a good investment to get the extended warranty as long as it isn't a burden to you.

The new bike run hot so an oil cooler wouldn't be a bad idea and depending on how handy you are around bikes is whether you would want to do the job yourself. It's not a difficult job at all to install the cooler.

I just purchased a 2008 Soft Tail Heritage Classic. I get the noise in 5th gear. Dealership told me that they thought Harley fixed it. I spoke to Harley Rep Heidi who said its not a design flaw, Harley made it that way. If I dont like the noise take off the windshield it will reduce the noise. Hello!!! It came with a windshield why should cant I use it with my bike. Harley would not do anything to help me, she said thats just the way the bike runs.

Very disappointed with Harley Customer Service.

You're not the only one that's disappointed with Harley. They treat customers like they are dumb.
That's a good one about "they made it that way" well hello..... that's kind of obvious, doesn't mean it's right either. Why don't the baker people fix their transmissions so they make noise too.:D

Try some Spectro platinum or redline shockproof in the trans.

I just purchased a 2008 Soft Tail Heritage Classic. I get the noise in 5th gear. Dealership told me that they thought Harley fixed it. I spoke to Harley Rep Heidi who said its not a design flaw, Harley made it that way. If I dont like the noise take off the windshield it will reduce the noise. Hello!!! It came with a windshield why should cant I use it with my bike. Harley would not do anything to help me, she said thats just the way the bike runs.

Very disappointed with Harley Customer Service.

I picked up a quick detachable windshield for my FXSTB (for longer rides) and all along I thought I had no 5th gear noise. Surprise!!! When I put the shield on and was in 5th gear I said to myself "whats that noise I hear". Now I know what everyone is talking about. It's not that bad but it is there. Can't hear it at all without the shield on. I agree, if my bike came with a shield why would I want to remove it. Auto dealers use to say "just turn the radio up louder". I will probably try M1 75-90 soon.
You auto gear heads should remember the General Motors M22 Rock Crusher 4 speed. Tough to kill but VERY noisy. You could hear it coming down the road as it was going thru the gears. Sorry I went off track a little.

07 softail custom.7800 miles on it. Makes a slight metallic noise in 5th if revs are low. Dont allow your bike to labour, keep the revs up. Noise is no problem at all, its normal. I run mine on straight harley tranny oil with no problem. No heat issues either, my bike runs no hotter than any other softail Ive owned before. Just ride and enjoy!

Back