free website stats program 2007 FB noise in 5th gear. | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 FB noise in 5th gear.

sams

It is well known that 2007's make noise in 5th gear. Many tried using synthetics to get rid of the noise. But I think one must allow the rings to get set and should not use syn's upto 3-5 thousand miles.

My Heritage does the same thing. I have found that as I put more miles on it the noise is becoming less noticable. That is with less than 500 on it so far. Wife's Bike (2007 Heritage) does the same also.

After talking with the Service Tech at my local dealer, He showed me a cut-away-view of the new 6-Speed Tranny. It would appear that the 1st gear and 5th gear are straight cut (splined) and 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 6th are angled cut. The straight cut tooth on tooth is what is creating the noise. He informed me that it will never completely go away, but at a service change if you go with the syntheic, it will be reduced.

I don't really feel that it is a major problem anyhow. You can reach high enough speed in 4th to skip right through 5th and onto 6th if its a problem for you. I have kinda got to liking it acually, lets me know wheather I 'm in 4th or 5th.

By the way, I see that there is another user here using HD4Life, This is not me and if I had know I would of selected something different. Note that my username is H-D 4 Life and you will know if you are talking with me

FM

I am from Australia, I got myself a brand new 2007 softail (standard) 2 months ago. Apart from the great stuff, I've the 5th gear noise problem. It appears when the bike is in 5th gear, metal pieces are knocking heavily inside the engine but in 6th the noise disappear. Why 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th are ok but not 5th? Even the bike has clocked up 2000kms (1200miles) and after the first serice, the noise is still there.

Talked to the dealer, they said is a known problem but Harley can't rectify it. I am very disappointed about this ill professional conduct!

Got a second opinion from other experience motorcylce mechanics, they all said is gear box problems.

ainiyiwanbei

It is well known that 2007's make noise in 5th gear. Many tried using synthetics to get rid of the noise. But I think one must allow the rings to get set and should not use syn's upto 3-5 thousand miles.

I am from Australia, I got myself a brand new 2007 softail (standard) 2 months ago. Apart from the great stuff, I've the 5th gear noise problem. It appears when the bike is in 5th gear, metal pieces are knocking heavily inside the engine but in 6th the noise disappear. Why 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th are ok but not 5th? Even the bike has clocked up 2000kms (1200miles) and after the first serice, the noise is still there.

Talked to the dealer, they said is a known problem but Harley can't rectify it. I am very disappointed about this ill professional conduct!

Got a second opinion from other experience motorcylce mechanics, they all said is gear box problems.

ainiyiwanbei

If you noticed the post above I addressed this issue as was relayed to me via HD Service Tech. The beast what it is. Period. All the 6-Speed Cruise Drive Trans make the 5th gear noise. It is not going to hurt your bike to run it in 5th, the gear box is not mal-functioning. HD is aware of this noise and swears that it is because of the straight spline of the #5 gear(s). Personally it is not a big deal to me, at least not one that I can't live with.

FM

I am new to the forum. I Just signed up to learn all I can about the Softail Harleys. Back in the day I owned a Honda then a BSA Chopper and then a 900 and 1000 Sportster.

I recently ordered an 07 Herritage Softail. I just learned about 5th gear and over heating problems with the 07's from this Forum

Has anyone put substantial miles on an 07 yet ? If so, are you finding any overheating and 5th gear problems?

Should I cancel the order and get an 06 or wait on the 08's?

FH

I have put over 4500 miles on my 07 Heritage. I hve no problems with the 5th gear at all. The slight noise is there, but its not a problem. I had to set through stop and go traffic while at Daytona Bike Week, and I had no overheating problem.

I love this bike. Period.

FM

G'day H-D 4 Life

Thats cool that you don't have a problem with the 'box noise - but, should a new model be released with, and then have the dealers admit to these sorts of probs??!!

I wouldn't think it acceptable for a piece of rolling thunder which cost AU$30k!

What do the rest of you guys think? (imagine what you would say if it were a Jappa!?!)

Snake

Its not a problem, its a different sound caused by a different style of gear in both 1st and 5th. I don't know why they chose to do it that way. If they were all straight splined, you wouldn't notice any different sound, likewise if they were all heli-cut you wouldn't either.

If it really is an issue for anyone, Baker makes a conversion kit that swaps out the 5th gear set for one that is heli-cut.

By the way, as I test rode several models during Daytona Bike Week, I noticed that all the ones I rode made a noise in 5th gear. That includes the Road King, Street Gluide, Utltra Classic and two Softtails. True the noise may not of been as noticeable on the Touring bikes, but it was still there.

Whatever makes you happy,

FM

My 2007 Heritage Classic also makes the noise in 5th gear. I agree with H-D 4 Life and it is for sure not a problem! It does not bother me at all and I am now at the point where I don't even pay attention to it any longer. It does not cause me any problems...

However, I have noticed that when I am in 5th gear, that the noise gets louder as I start dropping below 45 to 48 MPH. If I am in 5th and going around 50 to 54 MPH, it is not very noticeable. Either way, and as mentioned, it does not bother me in the least and it is not a problem with the bike.

Also for the question on the over heating. I live in Guam where it gets very hot on the roads. I have never had a problem with my bike over heating.

LT

Back