free website stats program 2006 1200 custom stock needle clip position | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 1200 custom stock needle clip position

Adjustments complete. Runs very well now, although it is only in the 70's here today. Did act up at idle a little when it warmed up but did not stall. About every 10 seconds, it would stumble and then even out.

Will take it to work tomorrow for the real test but at least I am not afraid to ride it.

Recap:

146 Pilot
180 main with stock emulsion tube
stock needle shimmed with 1 #4 washer
mixture screw 2.5 turns out

Excellent! Although you meant to put 46 pilot, I'm sure.

You may go with another washer under the needle before it over with. That stumble may be another issue but ride it and see what happens. You may adjust that mixture screw some more too. The bike needs to be hot, like a 45 minute ride type of hot. Adjust it in til it stumbles and then count the turns out til it stumbles. Split the difference between those two points.

Did you check float height while you had it apart?

Ooops, yup, 46 pilot

I did play with enrichening it a little but the stumble did not seem to go away. Played with the mixture screw too, but to no avail. At this point I'm happy to not be fearful of getting stranded. How sad is that?

What else could create a stumble? The intake to carb gasket seems to be tight.........

Did not ride to work today. I can't seem to stay out of my Challenger SRT8. The bike has competition now for nice weather. Maybe tomorrow..........

Is the stumble only at idle, or first bit of throttle?

Idle only so far. However, not really tested thoroughly yet....

If it way upon hitting the throttle, I would look for accelerator pump, diaghram/slide or vacuum leak.

Idle only so far. However, not really tested thoroughly yet....

If it way upon hitting the throttle, I would look for accelerator pump, diaghram/slide or vacuum leak.

You got it. Check the float height too. The procedure is pretty specific. You got a manual for your bike?

No I don't but I have rejetted many dirt bikes and quads so I have a pretty good idea what to do. Someday I will get one............

Latest update:

Still coughing and spitting at idle when it gets hot but not as bad as it was. it will stall if I don't rev it up at idle.

I do not think it is a vacuum leak because using the enrichener does nothing to improve the problem.

When I had the top of the carb off, I did notice that the diphram appeared to be a little stretched. That is my guess, that the issue is made worse at idle.

Next move is to replace diaphram.

Any idea if this is the right path or not?

Right about now, I am ready to trade it in on a dirt bike. I hate the thought of bringing it to the dealer....

After reading some threads in other sections, I am just going to rip the carb apart and be sure it has no gumming. Realizing how small the idle circuit is, it could be partially clogged.

Something i should have thought of a long time ago...

After reading some threads in other sections, I am just going to rip the carb apart and be sure it has no gumming. Realizing how small the idle circuit is, it could be partially clogged.

Something i should have thought of a long time ago...

That-a-boy! May as well order a rebuild kit for it and put back all new........

Back