free website stats program 2005 Road King Classic won't start...keeps blowing fuel pump and ECM fuses | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 Road King Classic won't start...keeps blowing fuel pump and ECM fuses

Thanks for the schematics Hoople....ok, so here's what we found. I unplugged the connector under the tank and the fuse still blew. So, I removed the speedo assembly and unplugged the connector underneath that supplies the fuel pump from the top of the tank. The fuse doesn't blow. I removed the fuel pump assembly from the tank. Inspected it and found a little nick in the orange wire on the fuel pump assembly harness. It appears to have been rubbing on the metal of the fuel pump assembly. I haven't replaced that harness yet, but I put the assembly back in the tank and hooked it up again and the fuse doesn't blow and I now hear the fuel pump prime as it's supposed to when I hit the run switch....I put fuel back in the tank and the bike now fires up. I'm going to order that small harness that is on the fuel pump. Man, what a nightmare tracking down electrical problems. Thanks to everyone for all the help...especially the Hoopster.....

I see by the schematics that the orange wire on the fuel pump harness goes directly to the fuel pump fuse......

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the schematics Hoople....ok, so here's what we found. I unplugged the connector under the tank and the fuse still blew. So, I removed the speedo assembly and unplugged the connector underneath that supplies the fuel pump from the top of the tank. The fuse doesn't blow. I removed the fuel pump assembly from the tank. Inspected it and found a little nick in the orange wire on the fuel pump assembly harness. It appears to have been rubbing on the metal of the fuel pump assembly. I haven't replaced that harness yet, but I put the assembly back in the tank and hooked it up again and the fuse doesn't blow and I now hear the fuel pump prime as it's supposed to when I hit the run switch....I put fuel back in the tank and the bike now fires up. I'm going to order that small harness that is on the fuel pump. Man, what a nightmare tracking down electrical problems. Thanks to everyone for all the help...especially the Hoopster.....

I see by the schematics that the orange wire on the fuel pump harness goes directly to the fuel pump fuse......

Nice going, congrats on working thru the problem. And a big thanks to Hoople, I know I learned from this thread!!!

I have and 04 Ultra that is blowing ECM and Fuel Pump fuse at the same time?
After reading this sounds like maybe a short. I had a mouse get under my fairing and nibble on wires and thought I had found any bare ones.Since I have gauges in the fairing would some of these wires come up inside fairing cause this short? Where would or what wires you all start looking first?

Where would or what wires you all start looking first?

When do the fuses blow? If you leave the engine kill switch in the OFF position and turn on just the ignition, do both fuses blow? Or do the fuses blow when you flip the Run/Kill switch to RUN?

Does the ECM fuse blow if BOTH the ignition and kill/run switch are OFF?
Replace just the ECM fuse and leave the fuel pump fuse OUT. Will the ECM fuse now blow when turning ON the ignition and RUN switch?

Back