free website stats program 2005 Road King Classic won't start...keeps blowing fuel pump and ECM fuses | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 Road King Classic won't start...keeps blowing fuel pump and ECM fuses

I'm using my brothers 2006 manual as well....:)

Unfortunately, I don't have the wiring manual. So, I'm gonna guess that what you're telling me is pretty accurate.

Thanks for all the help.....I'll let you know what I find when I find it.

Scott, Hoople IS pretty much the electrical guru. :s I think he has current running through his veins.

Ok, so I replaced the system relay and still have issue. I also unplugged the fuel pump connection under the tank....still blows the fuel pump fuse, then when I replace the fuel pump fuse and hit the run button again it blows the ecm fuse....so, same problem with the fuel pump out of the equation. I pulled the run and start switches out of the housing and had a look at the wiring, it appears ok. When I disconnect the large ECM plug and hit the run switch no fuses blow.

Only way that could be a consideration is if the 2006 had a bunch of changes the 2005 does not have. I am using a set of 2006 schematics and your bike is an 2005 so changes could have taken place. But even if the 2006 is a bunch different than the 2005, I can't see HD hanging other devices off the fuel pump fuse. (possible but very remote)

When you really look at what we both are doing, you really should not be working on your bike without the correct service manual and I really should not be giving advice to you without one either. But we are doing it anyway. I figured based on all the manuals I have read, I am 99% sure of what I am tell you is accurate.:)

Now if you can upload a few pages from a 2005 manual, I could be 100% certain of what I tell you and tell you exactly what is wrong.
Hoople....would it be possible for you to upload the schematics that you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am basing this on 2006 schematics because I don't have a set of prints for a 2005. I just can't believe there is that much different between what I am looking at and what you actually have in front of you. The only way the fuel pump fuse can blow while having the fuel pump connector (13A &13B) disconnected from under the tank is if 1 of the following was True.

1) The bikes wiring is brutally different from the 2006 schematics we are using.
2) Someone added some accessory to the stock bikes electrical system and hung that load onto the fuel pump fuse just out of convenience.
3) There is a pinched wire (shorted) to frame ground that goes from the "out" side of fuel pump fuse (G Terminal) to fuel pump connector 13A.

***With the Ignition OFF,, and the fuel pump fuse REMOVED,, and connector 13A disconnected,,, measure the resistance from Terminal G of the fuel pump fuse to FRAME ground. You SHOULD read infinity on the 200K ohm scale of your meter. BUT for the fuel pump fuse to blow, you MUST read something other than infinity. Do you read a DEAD SHORT.***

Look at the 2006 attachments and you will see that the only electrical load on the fuel pump fuse is in fact, only the fuel pump.

Just to see if the 2005 and 2006 are that much different,,check to see if the color wires that you have on the bike, match what the schematic shows. Especially the wires going to connector 13A /13B that is under the tank. Can you see if the Fuel pump fuse wires are actually O/GY and Y/GN.

Attachments

• schematics 002.jpg
    schematics 002.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 21
  • schematics 004.jpg
    schematics 004.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 13
I don't know if it will help but when I get back to the house tomorrow I will check your attachments against my 05 manual.

I don't know if it will help but when I get back to the house tomorrow I will check your attachments against my 05 manual.

Don, That would be a BIG help. If the fuel pump fuse wiring layout is the same as the 06 I uploaded, then as Glider says, it could be a damaged harness.

I would really like to know what the deal is with that fuel pump fuse.

Back