free website stats program 2005 road glide wobble | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 road glide wobble

My 2000 ultra has a wobble at any speed. If I take my hands of the bars and knock 1 side of the bar with either hand it will start to wobble. Been told to put one of those new stabilizers on to tie the frame in more with the engine..

Thanx for replying, I have been experimenting ,I tightned up on the neck bearings but it's still doin it , kinda (Edit) me off right now . I had an 03 road king classic and it was flawless . Tires no cupping bearings are good. I havn't checked the fluid level yet . I should probably change it but I figure it's stock and untouched and it doesn't seem likely that would be it. Any other educated guesses . I do appreciate tryin to help . Someone mentioned a rear stabalizer ,can ya send me the link to it .. Tanks

Wonder why some have that and some don't , really need to figure out why that is

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up my stabilizer on ebay. Type in harley stabilizer and you'll get several manufacturers. Progessive also make a good one and at a reasonable price, around $190.
If you haven't changed your fork oil, it does wear out. After I changed mine the bike feels like new. Remember to grease the front bearings, I had to get a 45* nozzle for my grease gun to get at the darn thing.

Have an 04 Road Glide with 103K on it that's stable at all speeds unless the Tour Pak is on. Then it will do the same thing at speeds under 30 MPH.

my 06 rd king dose the same thing with the tourpac on I have a factory 2up quick detach mount . dose anyone have any reason why the bike would handle fine until you put the tourpac on and then it gets a wobble. a friend of mine has a 2001 rd king and has set the tour pac back 3 inches and has had no problems. figure that one out. p.s. not trying to hyjack the thread just frustrated as well.

Wobble is the lack of damped oscillation...obviously your hands and arms are a major factor in that dampening. So is the treadwear of the front tires, steering/bearing preload and fallaway. The dress of the cables and wiring, suspension tuning front/rear, as well as frame and suspension geometry.

Steering damper is a hardware component added when all else fails, it is essentially the same as having a hand on the bar...and affects fast turning ability, so they are generally adjustable. Oh, and adding that top box, putting center of gravity or changing the suspension/frame/geometry tuning will affect the wobble. Sportbikes having a smaller wheelbase and steep steering geometry fight wobble and take lots of R&D to get right. The presence of a steering damper usually means they never got it all worked out...then on to the next model year change.

Last edited:
I can't speak for everyone but for me my RG is such a great handling bike that I could not see having a wobble/oscilliation/or whatever you want to call it. I researched several web sites and blogs to see if I could determine what others had tried to correct the handling problems I had encountered. I first checked the fall away and tire pressure, I made sure that the front and rear tire was in alignment. I greased the neck bearings and changed the fork oil. All of these made the bike very stable in a stright line but none of them stopped the high speed wobble I kept getting when I pushed the bike. Adding the TWR stabilizer stopped the wobble and was a stright forward install. The fit and finish are first class.

I owned a 2004 with similar symptoms. Check to make sure your caliper pistons are retracting back in their bores. A search on this forum will give you a step by step instruction on cleaning the pistons.

I owned a 2004 with similar symptoms. Check to make sure your caliper pistons are retracting back in their bores. A search on this forum will give you a step by step instruction on cleaning the pistons.

Great point hoss, I hadn't thought that something up front other than the things that have been discussed. Never had the problem on a bike but had them rubbing on my F150 and it did make it shimmy.

Back