free website stats program 2004 Ultra Cam Bearing failure | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2004 Ultra Cam Bearing failure

Thanks for all the info. I learned today that one cam bearing disintegrated and sent metal shavings into the oil pump and also into the crankcase and crankshaft bearing. Long story short...I need a new oil pump, set of cams, cam chains, tension shoes, gaskets, CRANKSHAFT, crank bearing, right side of engine case (ob longed the bearing raceway) and possibly have the cylinders honed out and new rings on the pistons. (ughhhh!) All I have to say is thank God for Extended Warranty!!! (only paid $1500.00 for it when I bought the bike in 2004)

I'm thinking of having some High Performance cams, oil pump, and maybe a Stroker crankshaft installed seeing that the labor is being covered. Any thoughts on Gear driven cams vs. Chain driven?

Have the new cam chain retrofitted from the new engines, much better than the gear driven cams. It's a great upgrade for the nasty tensioner setup they had.

Also make sure they drop the oil pan to clean it out.

Have to pull off the cam cover and possibly the front pipe. You can see the rear tensioner with a dental mirror if you stand on your head with your mouth a certain way and tongue hanging out:D

Yeah, I have mine in for service and I told them to check the tensioner on my 2006. Find out tomorrow what they found. They said they would need to remove the front pipe.

Back