free website stats program 2004 Ultra Cam Bearing failure | Harley Davidson Forums

2004 Ultra Cam Bearing failure

4Bus

Has anyone ever had a cam bearing fail on their '04 Ultra Classic? I have 30k miles on the TC 88B. Always run SYN 3 in it, and changed oil/filter on a regular basis.

thats a common failure on that model engine. should start having the tensioners checked at the 25k service.

Cam bearings on an 04 aren't that common at all. The earlier TC engines were the ones that had the problems with the bearings.

I changed my cams last week. I used the new style hydralic tensioner and Andrews 26N cams. The bike had the old style needle bearings. There was some pitting on the cams in the bearing area and some wear on the cam lobe faces. Changed the bearings to the Torington style new B lifters and Screaming Eagle adjustable pushrods, as well as oil pump and cam support plate.
The bike runs awsome now. I suppose now I will have to get some free flowing exhaust to go with the stage one carb and cams

We are pretty stupid. For example cam chain tensioners are junk we pay $65 a piece for new ones. What is the cost to manufacture them. Doesn't look like much in material. They screw up and then they screw us again when we come bak to get their screwups repaired. Dumb.

We are pretty stupid. For example cam chain tensioners are junk we pay $65 a piece for new ones. What is the cost to manufacture them. Doesn't look like much in material. They screw up and then they screw us again when we come bak to get their screwups repaired. Dumb.

Amen to that, you would think we would learn from our mistakes.

Is there any easy way to check the cam tensioners on an '04 Classic. It has the SE203 cams and the tensioners were replaced when the cams were put in about 20 k miles ago.

Rod

Have to pull off the cam cover and possibly the front pipe. You can see the rear tensioner with a dental mirror if you stand on your head with your mouth a certain way and tongue hanging out:D

Back