free website stats program 2002 Road King or 2012 Electra Glide Ultra Classic | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 Road King or 2012 Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Matching helmets??? Looks like 9 years of use and someone elses sweat. Not a fan of used helmets. Even if you clean them.
Helmets are recommended to be replaced after so many years anyway, even if people don't do it. Kind of like used underwear. I like having my own from day one.

I agree with you there. I meant to write on my first post not that I would use them.:)

Dswartz-I think right now is the longer rides on the weekends since my wife and I pretty much only do that for now. I think my longest trip has been down to Daytona a couple of times from St Marys, Ga.

If this is strickley a money issue you are the only one that can answer your question. I do understand the concept of depreciation but I also understand the value of buying new. I would never purchase a bike or car or anything that wears for an investment. Have you looked at any other bikes in your area? Say an 08-09 Ultra which would give you audio, cruise control, tour pack and the new frame plus the bigger engine. Your budget and your type of riding will dictate what your choice will be.

If this is strickley a money issue you are the only one that can answer your question. I do understand the concept of depreciation but I also understand the value of buying new. I would never purchase a bike or car or anything that wears for an investment. Have you looked at any other bikes in your area? Say an 08-09 Ultra which would give you audio, cruise control, tour pack and the new frame plus the bigger engine. Your budget and your type of riding will dictate what your choice will be.

No, actually today was my first talk with the dealer. This kind of all started when my said that all the money I had been spending on my dad's old 85 FXEF I should just buy another one. So while I was at the dealer getting or should I say trying to get yet another part that was obsolete at the dealer. I decided to take my wife's offer and start looking.:D

When the wife gives the green light you are on solid ground. Take your time maybe rent a few bikes to get the feel for what fits you and your type of riding. When the right bike comes around you will know if it's the deal you want. Happy hunting and we will all be waiting for pixs of the new ride.

My wife rides an 06 Ultra and I have an 02 Roadking, I bought both new and always liked the look of the Roadking a little better, as most here have said putting price aside, there's a lot of used bikes out there Ultras included you have to decide which you like better, but I would say having driven both though I like my bike I think the Ultra cruises a little more comftorable at highway speeds, maybe the fairing breaks the wind a little better, just my opinion, around town I see no difference, I have put the J&M cb radio on, also added a satellite radio to the King, Good but not as good as what comes on the Ultra my opinion if you even think you want radios and cb go with the Ultra

Well, I went with the Road King. All I can say is WOW at the difference on the ride compared to 1985 FXEF. I drive about 45 minutes to work and it is a lot smoother than I anticipated. Not a lot of vibration at all. I figured if I want the tour pack and fairing on their I could always add it later. Not that I wanted it on all the time but, would be nice to have. Maybe the Ultra will be my next upgrade but, I'll do like Don suggested and rent some different types first. I couldn't pass up this bike it has low mileage and excellent shape. Now I just need to sell my Suzuki Intruder and get back to two bikes.:D

2002 FLHR
1985 FXEF
2002 Suzuki Intruder For Sale

I'd get the Ultra. Good looking without even having to add anything, all new parts, warranty, comfort, peace of mind...........

Well, I bought a 2012 EG Classic (not the Ultra). Just didn't need or want all the stuff on the Ultra. As a former Road King owner, the EGC is just a little heavier but much more comfortable and convenient for the long haul.

I am really liking the 103 engine too.

start with 02, trade up when ready. hard to trade down $wise, imo....................bw

That's what I did, I got the RK. An 02 with only 8600 miles on it and very clean. I figured I'd get this then trade up. Plus for the money I thought it was a good deal. Very nice ride compared to my '85 FXEF which I am still going to keep.

Back