free website stats program 2000 sportster vibration modifications | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 sportster vibration modifications

Solace

I'm looking for anybody who has done modifications to reduce vibration with positive results: Taller gearing, Fisher dampener, etc.

I would appreciate any help, keeping in mind I'm just a girl, only
a little mechanically minded and that this is the bike I can afford.

Thanks so much,
T

Last edited:
If you're talking about reducing the vibrations on your sporty, the best and cheapest way of doing that is buy a Honda. :s

Not such luck otherwise.

solid mount harleys vibrate no way around that. only alternative is to live with it or move up in year to a rubber mount.

My wife has 2000 1200custom and she has a solid mount in front going from the jug to the frame. After i got this bike for her i was talkin to this guy at work and it turns out he has this same bike color and everything but his doesnt have this mount and he said his vibrates pretty bad especialy at the stop lights. My wifes hardly vibrates at all and thats with drag pipes and drag bars.not sure what its called if i can figure out how to get pics on here i can show you.

My wife has 2000 1200custom and she has a solid mount in front going from the jug to the frame. After i got this bike for her i was talkin to this guy at work and it turns out he has this same bike color and everything but his doesnt have this mount and he said his vibrates pretty bad especialy at the stop lights. My wifes hardly vibrates at all and thats with drag pipes and drag bars.not sure what its called if i can figure out how to get pics on here i can show you.

That would be wonderful! I really love the look and the feel of my
bike, except after a long ride where the vibration starts getting to
me. I'm short and the sportster fits me perfect, all of my friends that I ride with have rubber mounted motors and I really love to travel with them.
I just don't want to slow them down or have to stop to often.

Thanks so much,
T

i have a 93 solid mount sportster isnt that much different from yours but i have iso hand grips and foot pegs these do help to isolate the hands and feet from the vibration
have taken the sportster from north scotland to germany so long distances are possible although i try to have no more than 300 miles in a day
getting older cant stay the distance anymore

Brian

i have a 93 solid mount sportster isnt that much different from yours but i have iso hand grips and foot pegs these do help to isolate the hands and feet from the vibration
have taken the sportster from north scotland to germany so long distances are possible although i try to have no more than 300 miles in a day
getting older cant stay the distance anymore

Brian

I will check them out online and with the local harley dealer.

Thank you very much,
T

I will check them out online and with the local harley dealer.

Thank you very much,
T

try ebay
they are made by kuryakyn i have them fitted to all my bikes they do help with the solid mount bikes i also have a 92 softail and a 94 dyna but the dyna is rubber mounted
and although cant see to well out of my mirrors hands and feet dont go to sleep when riding

Brian

Yeah, I have a 1200 and that booger vibrated at highway speeds, I changed the rear pulley to an export 55 tooth (and 125 tooth belt) and I’ve never looked back. It will drop the engine speed some 340 RPMs, which in of itself doesn’t sound like a lot, but it brings the engine speed at 70 MPH down to around 2800 RPM and makes a very pleasant ride.

Power wise, I’ve not noticed the engine laboring at lower speeds and off the line situations. The 1200 when tuned well has an ample amount of torque. I’ve run this setup for the past 4 years and I’m quite pleased with it.

Fin_676 has some low cost good ideas, the rubber cush grips and foot pegs will improve vibes felt in the arm and hands. There is also an item called the "Bar Snake" which is a rubberized foam shock absorber that goes inide the bars that absorbs the vibes as well. Vpats idea works but is considerably more expensive as gearing changes with Belt Drive & Pulleys is not an easy thing.

Other helpful hints, do routine maintenance, check primary chain tension, use 85W Gear oil in the clutch/transcase (makes for smoother quieter gear engagement), make sure all motor mounts are tightened to specification, and engine ignition and fueling is even and smooth as possible.

While you are at it, add an EZ clutch kit, makes the clutch pull 30-40% easier, and tilt bars towards you to make it easier to turn handle bars lock to lock while seated properly and fit your hand and foot controls naturally. Some times the vibes seem worse because of improper fitment to the rider. And wear properly fitted boots and gloves helps.

Back