free website stats program 2000 sportster vibration modifications | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 sportster vibration modifications

Wanted to thank everyone for thier imput!!!

NEWHD74FAN: I have a e-z clutch on the way, everything I've read since
your posting is very positive. The maintenance has all been checked and completed.

vpat: It's nice to know the gearing change works, if my cheaper fixes don't.

Swaping the rear pulley and belt ... ain't cheap by any measure, but it does work. There is also the 30 tooth transmission pulley, while not equal in RPM reduction is is much cheaper. I just felt lowering the bridge was better than raising the water, performance wise.

But if money is no object, I'd go with the Baker 6 speed. My wife says money is an object so I changed pulleys.

Wanted to thank everyone for thier imput!!!

NEWHD74FAN: I have a e-z clutch on the way, everything I've read since
your posting is very positive. The maintenance has all been checked and completed.

vpat: It's nice to know the gearing change works, if my cheaper fixes don't.

Good deal, Solace. Keep us informed as to your progress, and give a scale say 1 to 5 as to which mods seem to work best for you! :D

Two things seemed to reduce the vibes on my '98 xlh1200: swapping to mini-apes and getting to 20K miles. With the addition of a Mustang wide solo seat and an HD convertible windshield. I generally cruise at about 3000 RPM (about 70 mph). I have done +700-mile days with no problems that being 20 years younger wouldn't cure (I'm 60.)

I have read about lugging/pinging issues with the 55-tooth pulley in other forums.

jzink0883

MY WIFES BIKE HAS THIS MOUNT
0081.jpg

Two things seemed to reduce the vibes on my '98 xlh1200: swapping to mini-apes and getting to 20K miles. With the addition of a Mustang wide solo seat and an HD convertible windshield. I generally cruise at about 3000 RPM (about 70 mph). I have done +700-mile days with no problems that being 20 years younger wouldn't cure (I'm 60.)

I have read about lugging/pinging issues with the 55-tooth pulley in other forums.

jzink0883

I to would benefit from being twenty years younger. I've changed
the height and angle of my windshield and added a sheep skin seat cover.
Both have helped a little, but every little bit helps.

TUCKERFLHX ….thank you so much for the picture!!!!
The mount on mine is almost identical. I will do some research on the differences.

fin_676….I have replaced my pegs with the iso and there is a definite
reduction in the vibration I can feel with my feet. I have not done the hand grips yet.

NEWHD74FAN ….the easy clutch is wonderful!!!! My hands are small and it has made a huge difference, especially when feathering the clutch for slow maneuvers.

Thanks again to everyone for your input!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear that things are improving for you just keep tweeking away till you get your bike right for you
i do prefer the older solid mount bikes the rubber mounted ones just dont feel right to me

Brian

Actually I agree, while the vibes are "classic" old Harley, I have to say I think the older gen bikes are great for short solo rides, but the rubber mounted 2004 on up, make the hours of "--fill the tank and run her 'til she runs dry several times" much easier, especially two-up.

But what do I know...rode metrics for years and loved the high pitched scream and vibes of an inline 4 on song at about 8000 RPM (redline was a 9,500), along with brand Y's high pitched whistle from the straight cut gears, all the while my hands would feel the buzz long after I had the bike parked in the garage...silly ol' nostalgic me :bigsmiley22:

Smiles per Mile means many things to many people!

Last edited:
never really got into metric multi cylinder bikes had a few honda twins in the 70s
then moved on to a 75 triumph bonnie then ducati 900ss then a moto guzzi le mans had the guzzi 10 years then a couple of bmw air heads
but from the bonnie onward always something missing found what was missing when i got the sportster the vibration
the guzzi was fast and smooth the bmw`s smooth once i got the sportster never rode the bmw r100rt
i do have a dyna wide glide in the stable but leave it to the wife i much prefer the 92 softail or the 93 sportster cos they have the vibration and feel right for me
on tuesday wife and i are off to her home in germany for anuall summer trip cos im getting older prefer to not go over 350 miles in a day
have done this trip 3 times already twice on the sportster and last year had the softail so softails second trip this year
have changed the grips and pegs to iso and fitted extended reach foot controls

BRIAN

Here is an _excellent_ webpage answering your question in detail.

SPORTSTER VIBRATION

I'm on the verge of taking one of his suggestions and moving from a 27 tooth to 29 tooth front pulley, which move the gearing on my 2000 883xlh to be the same as the 1200, and will dramatically reduce the vibrations at freeway cruising speeds. Relatively speaking, it's a very cheap and easy fix. Online vendors have the part (40202-91B) for $110-130.

But, it also means my speedo/odometer will be off by 7%. Does anyone know if I can just switch over to using a speedo from a 1200? Does anyone know the speedo part #?

Back