free website stats program 2-Days of Motorcycle Maintenance | Harley Davidson Forums

2-Days of Motorcycle Maintenance

USMCCWO5

Fellow HDTimeline members:
Just to pass on my weekend of maintenance on my 2007 FLHRC. I just hit 20,000 miles. I did all this myself in my garage.

1. Front and rear tires with new tubes (cyclepro did balance them), dang motorcycle tires are stubborn to remove. (Dunlops 402s, just like originals)

2. Fork oil (what a mess) Had to remove front wheel after pulling left drain plug and spraying oil all over the brand new white walls. If anyone has done this exactly like the manual says let me know, I have a question. I used J&P fork oil tool. (Maxima 20 wt)

3. Three sets of brake pads (Lyndall Z-Plus)

4. Engine oil and filter (HD filter & Mobile 1 V-Twin)

5. Primary oil (Formula +)

Excellent!

I trust you have the HD Factory Service Manual for your '07 RK!! Next engine oil change, you might want to pop the nose cone off the right side and inspect the shoes on the chain tensioners (unless you have already up-graded to the gear drive). If you get a cheap dental mirror (the plastic kind), you should be able to see behind the support plate at the inboard one. They become suspect at around 25k miles. You might also change the tranny oil then too. Lots of info/opinions on that around here.

On "popping off the nose cone", some guys have cut down some allen wrenches to get between the front pipe and the nose cone fasteners on the bottom ones. I have always pulled off the pipe, but that is a major pain!!

As the song says, "Welcome back my friend, to the show that never ends". That describes maintenance on a Harley!!

TQ

I thought the 07 had the new tensioners like the 08's

USMC,

My apologies!! I think Bud is right on the '07 and more recent bikes. In '06, HD debuted the redesigned system that included hydraulic tensioners. I am not sure of the wear problems experienced with those, and whether they need the same sort of vigilance as the spring loaded tensioners from prior years.

TQ

Hi there, can you tell me what type of manual you used? I am thinking about doing the 10K service myself. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank You

WOW! you actually mounted your tires on your wheels yourself. I just take my wheel and new tire to the shop, they only charge $10 to mount and balance. If you have a motorcycle shop around your area, (and it doesn't have to be an HD shop) that does a lot of tire changes, the chances are they're gonna do a good job. If your not sure you can trust 'em yet, see if you can stick around to watch 'em change and balance it. That way you can see what kind of equipment they use. If they're using tire spoons and a bucket go get your tire before they work on it and find another shop.

Back