free website stats program 2-Days of Motorcycle Maintenance | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2-Days of Motorcycle Maintenance

On the hydraulic tensioner bikes check them at 30K.We haven't seen the problems that plague the older one but we haven't seen enough bikes with higher mileage yet to set a number.

On the hydraulic tensioner bikes check them at 30K.We haven't seen the problems that plague the older one but we haven't seen enough bikes with higher mileage yet to set a number.

USMC,

Excellent advice above from Fisher.

Sorry for the lapse on the change over year for the hydraulic tensioners. Since I had the front one disintegrate into little bits inside the nose cone (I have an '03 UC with the mechanical tensioners), I am very sensitive to this issue. Hope some other folks picked up the warning!!

Again, great job on the maintenance you did. Keep after it. And I have to second Windspirit97's "at-a-boy" for the tire changing!! I did it once on my Dyna. Whew! Thank goodness for the Dealer specials on free mounting and balancing when you buy the tire from them!!

TQ

Yes, good information from everyone. Especially mounting tires. Too hard to make it worth the effort, since I have to take them somewhere to get balanced anyway.

What is the tool of choice for setting belt tension. I used a plunger type gauge, pushed it until it read 10 lbs, then went back to rear wheel cams and tightened until within specs. However, it is tighter than my other two bikes which are both low mileage. Did I get it too tight?

Here are some pictures from my adventure.

Attachments

• 20K Service.JPG
    20K Service.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 20K Service forks.JPG
    20K Service forks.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 54
What is the tool of choice for setting belt tension. I used a plunger type gauge, pushed it until it read 10 lbs, then went back to rear wheel cams and tightened until within specs. However, it is tighter than my other two bikes which are both low mileage. Did I get it too tight?

Hmm. I just snug up the axle nut a bit and then turn the left side (I have the lobes on both sides on this bike - '03 UC) until the belt has about the right amount of deflection when I push up on it in the middle of the belt with my index and middle fingers. Torque it down, snap on the keeper, get it off the lift and back it out!

TQ

The newer bikes run the belt tighter than past years. Also check the manual to see if you check it up off the ground or down with a rider on it. They change this so often it can cause a problem if you don't know the difference.

In accordance with service manual. I did mine with wheel in the air.

Thank you for you comments, just wondering if I should loosen the belt even though it measures 3/8 to 7/16 with 10 pounds of pressure.

I may get raked over the coals, but (and please take this into consideration) I am not a mechanic. Instaed of the HD service Manual, I got thr Clymers Manual for Soft Tails. Any major problems with this manual?:D

I may get raked over the coals, but (and please take this into consideration) I am not a mechanic. Instaed of the HD service Manual, I got thr Clymers Manual for Soft Tails. Any major problems with this manual?:D

The HD manual is gonna have better more complete info. just out of curiosity, how much for the clymer? The Harley one is about 50 bucks. Did you save much?

I am newer here, and until recently, did not wrench my own bike.

I bought a Clymers, and never did any work, because the book is VERY sparse in pics and info.

I bought the HD manual, and have YET to run into problems (other than not paying attention to a disassembly last weekend, and then not rmembering what parts went back in in what order).

Another suggestion is to get a cheaper digital camera, and take pictures DURING any disassembly... that has saved my butt several times. When I am done, I write up what I did, adding the pictures, and saving it in a 3 ring binder.... so I know how to do it next time!

Back