free website stats program 1st Service - 2010 FLHX | Harley Davidson Forums

1st Service - 2010 FLHX

israguard

Hi Guys,
I just passed the 1600kms (1000 miles) on my FLHX & was told I need to take bike in not just for an oil change but for a more "complete" inspection. Needless to say... Dealer will be charging anywhere from $375 - $450 for this first inspection. Not including oil change. My question is.... Is this really necessary ? Oil change no problem... but what else is there ? They wont do it for cheaper and like many out here... i have spent tons of $$$ on this bike. When is enough enough ?

Any feedback on this 1st inspection / service would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds, Shawn

i have spent tons of $$$ on this bike. When is enough enough ?

The bike has only a thousand miles on it and your already at a point where "enough is enough"? That's not good.

I would say it is necessary to perform the complete service. Clutch adjustment, belt tension, & fall away, are all important adjustments that must be done for the obvious and also your safety. There is a check list in the self help section or the dealer can tell you what is done @ the 1K service. Finding an Indy is another choice you have. These bikes can be expensive toys if you have all the work performed for you at an hourly rate.

The bike has only a thousand miles on it and your already at a point where "enough is enough"? That's not good.

I would say it is necessary to perform the complete service. Clutch adjustment, belt tension, & fall away, are all important adjustments that must be done for the obvious and also your safety. There is a check list in the self help section or the dealer can tell you what is done @ the 1K service. Finding an Indy is another choice you have. These bikes can be expensive toys if you have all the work performed for you at an hourly rate.

As Hoople has stated it can be quite frustrating. If you are able, buy a shop manual or follow your owners manual, go to Harley's website, find maintenance menu, punch in your VIN and mileage and you will get a printout of needed services at 1000 miles and do it yourself. It is not really that hard and you will have the satisfaction of knowing it was done correctly and saved a bunch of $$$. If guidance is the problem you will find the best advice of how to do it here. I was working at a dealer when my bike turned 1000 miles. No one in shop offered to do it. I had to work it into schedule. The service took about a half hour and when question service manager he said to take a half hour off the charged 2 hours of labor for service. So I paid 1 1/2 hours labor for a 30 minute job and I worked there.

After reading many posts here, I am going to attempt the 1000 mile service on my 2010 Ultra Limited myself. I have ordered the service manual ($60) from my dealer. I figure I will buy the needed parts from them (oil, filter, gaskets, etc) and that reciept will help verify the service was done. Maybe I'll take photos too.
I have printed off the list of maint items from the HD website. Most of them are VERY easy visual inspections, or as tough as check tire pressure.
Clutch adjustment seems straight forward with the video found on this site.
I'm just not going to get in a hurry and try to do it all in one evening. Take my time and understand each procedure. Without the support of this site, I wouldn't have tackled this job, for which my dealer wants $500.

Excelent;; you can do it. take your time. get stuck ask ? to me its my only transpo its got to run. no toy here.

Two important lessons learned. 1) Ask questions and learn more about your bike. 2) Money saved will help buy all those wanted accessories sooner.

Just be carefull removing the clutch inspection cover. Many,including myself stripped out the Torx screw heads. Seems like they're on extra tight from the factory. Lots of good advice on this site on how to get them off without messing them up.

Save all of your reciepts for any work you do yourself, if there is any problems with any warranty issues you will be covered. No better way to get to know your bike than doing your own work, Good luck and we are just a Key board away, capital Jack:s

I do appreciate all the support. It will be a couple of weeks before I even get started on this. But I'll follow up with a note on how it went. Thanks to all.

I just did my 1000 mile service on my Fay Boy. What I did consisted of -

• Change oil - Mobile1 V-Twin - (2nd oil change)
  • Change trans fluid Royal Purple (2nd trans fluid change)
  • Change primary fluid adjust clutch
  • Check drive belt tension
  • Lube clutch and throttle cables and adjust
  • Steering head should be checked follow manual depending on model. Some have grease fittings
  • Change oil filter
  • Check critical fasteners

Check any other items in your owners manual.

Be careful not to cross thread, overtighten anything a little extra time here will save you a lot of time and trouble. Do not overfill any fluid levels.

If you don't feel comfortable with something (e.g. springer front end) take it to the dealer and just have them do that part. You will still save money.

Back