free website stats program 1st Service - 2010 FLHX | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

1st Service - 2010 FLHX

Good morning,
So after much reading & thinking.. I decided to have Dealer "deal with it". Charges was a flat fee of $205 plus $79 in parts. Oil filter alone was $21 plus oils.. and they even charge for the greese. They gave me the 2 page report. I am happy its done & for less than I thought it would be. Future oil changes etc.. I will do myself.
Thank you all. Rgds, Shawn

Good morning,
So after much reading & thinking.. I decided to have Dealer "deal with it". Charges was a flat fee of $205 plus $79 in parts. Oil filter alone was $21 plus oils.. and they even charge for the greese. They gave me the 2 page report. I am happy its done & for less than I thought it would be. Future oil changes etc.. I will do myself.
Thank you all. Rgds, Shawn

$79 in parts on a 1K service? Something is not right since you did say oil and filter was outside this $79 charge. Other than the derby cover gasket kit what parts are needed for a 1K service.?

Shawn help me on this. I won't sleep until you do.:)

I get so excited posting here that I may have gone too quickly earlier.... it was $205 for the inspection (labour) only. Parts were extra. $21 oil filter another $20 to $25 on other oils... Dollar here & there from greese to an O ring.. and in Canada... gotta love Canada add the 15% tax.. came to $79 plus the $205. Vroooom time to ride now once rain stops.

I feel your pain. I just traded into my new 2010 Ultra 3 weeks ago. I paid about $274 for my 1000 service 2 days ago.

Hard to believe I put on 1000 miles in less than 3 weeks!

My dealer seems to be better priced than what are lot of you are seeing. I guess I should feel lucky about that. I have not kept any previos bike long enough to make the 5000 mile service. Though I have a feeling this one will be the first.

My dealer has quoted just under $500 (over with tax) for the 1000 mile service. I am retired and have plenty of time on my hands. More time than money as they say. If I were working, and had the money, I would let them do it too.
My service manual arrived today, so I'll start studying it soon.

Someone mentioned the clutch cover bolts.

Mine were a bear. I grew up w phillips hads on suzukis so I am well familiar w the hammer impacts. Could NOT get them loose.

The trick to getting the clutch (derby) cover off was the impact, w someone leaning on the bike. HARD.

Yep, the bounce of a 900# bike from a hammer blow had to be counteracted.

Man, that's insane. On a 2010 bike you had this issue? How does this happen on a bike hardly a year off the production line.

I've had the derby cover off my bike several times and never had a problem where I had to resort to an impact wrench to get the torx bolts loose.

Somebody must be using Loctite 271 on immaculate clean threads during assembly to get bolts that tight. (?)

I guess so Hoop. I'm guessing if it came off the production line with red loctite, I guess there's Smitty's answer about how some folks can have a problem, and other folks none. I saw a newsclip last night about Dodge assembly plant employees on their "smoke" break in Detroit... Slam down a few beers and light up the minds creativity with some of Mother Nature..and anything is possible when you get back to work and start putting those cars (bikes) together lol -

I feel your pain. I just traded into my new 2010 Ultra 3 weeks ago. I paid about $274 for my 1000 service 2 days ago.

Hard to believe I put on 1000 miles in less than 3 weeks!

My dealer seems to be better priced than what are lot of you are seeing. I guess I should feel lucky about that. I have not kept any previos bike long enough to make the 5000 mile service. Though I have a feeling this one will be the first.

Boy howdy are you true to what you are feeling there. Harleys' are like your friendly "tractor" in the ol' days. They are a bit rough around the edges...until you start looking closely at the details and finish. Real metal fenders, bits that on most vehicles would be plastic are metal or alloy, and that beauty goes below the skin as well. True, tech being what it is, some may say the HD is a bit old, catering much to it's heritage and bloodlines almost to a sin...but in the final analysis, it is just as fresh as most other top drawer brands...and I haven't even gone into the sounds and substance that make the HD unique...:newsmile100:

Today I completed the 1000 mile service on my 2010 FLHTK.
I did purchase the service manual, which is excellent. I was fortunate to buy a used lift jack from a friend for $50.
I took my time and did this work over several days. Finally today I bought the grease for the Steering Head Bearings. Put the bike on the lift and injected over 80 pumps of grease into the zyrk (spelling?) fitting before it started coming out the bottom end. This shocked me, as when I had a Bobcat, I greased it all the time. I hardly ever put more than 20 pumps into a fitting without grease coming out the other end. This Steering Head must have been empty, and it holds a heck of a lot of grease. Anyone have any input on this?
I also bought the drive belt deflection testing tool. I think it was about $25 in Vegas. My local dealer didn't know what one was. The service manual specificaly says not to trust your fingertips. Belt tension was fine. I think that if I do find something like this is out of spec, I will then pay the dealer to make the adjustment. But why pay them shop rate to look at it?
I kept all reciepts on file for tools, oils, filters, and grease purchased at HD. I also made a spreadsheet with the tasks listed and checked off. I don't have a number off the top of my head, but it was a lot less than the $500 (yes, five HUNDRED dollars) my local dealer quoted me for this service.
I also bonded well with my bike and now know what all those filler holes are for!
Thank you for your support and encouragement.

Last edited:
Back