free website stats program 1st Harley - Good vibrations? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1st Harley - Good vibrations?

Harley@16, Curious about those Klockwerks slip ons, what do they sound like? Are they true to the description in thier ads?. I ask because I am about to order them for my SG?
As for your vibration, is it speed dependent or RPM dependent ? Meaning can you duplicate it at a given RPM in any gear, or does it have to be at a certain speed. where do you feel it most? footpegs/boards, handlebars, seat of your pants????? High frequency vibration or something slower ?

I would feel it most only in 6th gear, I tried to duplicate it at different speeds same rpm, didn't happen. Tried coasting when it would start and no vibration. I attributed it to possibly a little too soon of a shift because it would diminish as I increased speed, to about 75 then smooth out. It was a very general, low frequency all over vibration and seemed like I could feel it in the air pressure like a pulse, kinda weird I know but trying to give every sensation. The Klockworks were a little louder than I expected but I like them, and tuning them makes a difference so you'll need to have a fueler, I have a TFI and that works great. I'm changing to duals soon so we'll see what the headers do to them.
Harley

Sounds like maybe you were shifting into 6th gear a little to soon. these 103's are pretty torquey but you still need to give them some revs, I dont even consider putting mine in 6th gear unless I'm doing at least 70.
As for the exhaust I know about the need to adjust the fuel, I'm buying a flash tuner along with the klock werks slip-ons, and Kuryaykn Mach 2 aircleaner. Those true dual head pipes are ridiculous expensive. My plan is to Ebay a set of take off head pipes, gut the cats myself, and when I weld them back together I'm going to seperate the front and rear sections in the collector with a piece of donor pipe, still trying to decide IF I'm going to drill the seperating baffle to help equalize the pressure in the collector or not. Anyone have an opinion on this ?

Welcome! I have learned a lot here that helps me enjoy my Harley even more.

My Fat Bob had that vibration until I started using Spectro 6 speed Transmission Oil--
Spectro Platinum Heavy Duty Synthetic GL-5 6-Speed Gear Oil 75w140 - 1 Quart | Spectro Oils at Bobs Cycle Supply
If you search this product on the hdtimeline website you will find lots of info. I also use Mobile 1 V-twin motor oil and added a Dobeck Gen 3.5 TFI (electronic fuel injector controller). The Fat Bob now runs quieter, cooler, and smoother. And my mpg is 20% more.

:44:

My 2012 FLHTK with Stage 1 and tuner was doing that also. I found I was getting into 6th way too early. Waiting until at least 70 mp for 6th I got better gas mileage and more power. Then I did a dyno tune and that smoothed it out and gave me more power even if I get into 6th a little early now.

Hey thanks for all the responses everyone! There's some good info here. I'm an oil geek, and will definitely check out the Spectro. At some point I'll swap out the exhaust, and I'm leaning towards either Vance and Hines or HD the Softail Shotgun slip ons.

I don't think it's a flywheel issue. When I roll on the throttle, the vibe increases until I get to the desired speed then it goes away. There's a tach built into the speedo, and when I'm at about 65 mph in 5th, the RPM is at roughly 2950. RPM drops to 2500 when I shift to 6th at that speed. When I accelerate from there, the vibe is really noticible until I settle in at a higher speed, then it goes away. I'm thinking that it's normal at this point. It seems as if its just torque. Any thoughts?

Hey thanks for all the responses everyone! There's some good info here. I'm an oil geek, and will definitely check out the Spectro. At some point I'll swap out the exhaust, and I'm leaning towards either Vance and Hines or HD the Softail Shotgun slip ons.

I don't think it's a flywheel issue. When I roll on the throttle, the vibe increases until I get to the desired speed then it goes away. There's a tach built into the speedo, and when I'm at about 65 mph in 5th, the RPM is at roughly 2950. RPM drops to 2500 when I shift to 6th at that speed. When I accelerate from there, the vibe is really noticible until I settle in at a higher speed, then it goes away. I'm thinking that it's normal at this point. It seems as if its just torque. Any thoughts?
I do beleive that a lot of it is due to tunng, and the stock fuel map, intake,and exhaust combo require higher rpms to smooth it out. Higher rpms provide more fuel to air ratio in the stock map I think. When I questioned the service writer at my local dealer about heat issues and pinging that was his recommendation-higher rpms= richer A/F ratio.
Harley

Be nice if you had some friends with a softail model and you could ride theirs just to see if yours is any different. If it's your first Harley, you might just be experiencing what is normal vibrations for your particular model.

I can't comment on softails since my previous one was a Dyna.

Last edited:
Be nice if you had some friends with a softail model and you could ride theirs just to see if yours is any different. If it's your first Harley, you might just be experiencing what is normal vibrations for your particular model.

I can't comment on softails since my previous one was a Dyna.

Actually I do. A friend of mine just picked up a Deluxe, same year as mine. We'll be getting together shortly and I'll be discussing this with her. Thanks all!

To be honest guys , I don't know what you are talking about when you say vibration. I own a 2010 Heritage with a six speed which I bought new and it is the smoothest Harley that I have ever owned and I have owned and been riding all models of Harleys over the past 45 years. If you were talking about the older Harleys , then I could understand you calling it vibration. Thats what made those older bikes a Harley and owners expected that feel or it wasn't a Harley. Personally I think some of you younger guys are confusing torque with vibration and that is what is unique about the design of the Harley engine. If you are coming off of one of the foreign bikes then I know what you are experiencing and you are not going to duplicate that with any Harley. It's just a whole different animal. Hope when you get used to it , you will love them like the rest of us long time Harley riders. RIDE SAFE !

Back