free website stats program 1st Harley - Good vibrations? | Harley Davidson Forums

1st Harley - Good vibrations?

jwquinn

Hi! Well, I finally got around to buying my first Harley. It's a 2012 FLSTC, not quite new. I've had lots of bikes over the years - BSAs, Hondas, two Kawasaki Nomads, and I just sold a BMW K1200LT when I picked up my new Heritage. The new scoot is a great ride, love the torque at low speeds, and it handles better than that beemer, particularly around tgown. It's about 80 pounds lighter too.

I have a question, if anyone has any thoughts: When I'm in 6th gear,there's a pretty good vibration that starts at around 2600 - 2700 rpm. It's very noticible. I can also feel it when I roll on the throttle, but it's less pronounced. Normal for this engine (103)? Should I get it checked out? I probably got spoiled by that beemer, that was so darn smooth you could just about fall asleep. Thanks, and stay safe.

John Q
Surprise, AZ

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome to the Forum....i do not have a 6 speed but from what i have heard you might be shifting into 6 to early. from my understanding only use 6 gear after 65 mph.. lots of information here you might want to check the self help section or other threads (i know there is a few threads on this)
i am sure someone will be by shorty to clarify for you

Welcome to the forum John Q. 2,600 and up is good cruising rpm in 6th, but my Electra Glide acceleration is not great at that rpm. Since mine is rubber mounted and yours is counterbalanced, I can't say about the vibration. Do you have a tach, or are you guessing at the rpm?

Welcome to the Forum, try rolling to around 70 to shift into 5th gear and see how it does, this will also help rule out problems in 5th gear:s

What slip ons did you use?

Klock Werks Short-Style Super Saver 4 Inch Slip-On Mufflers for '95-Up FLT/FLHT/FLHX/FLHR & FLTR Forward Slash <font color=red>Will not fit 2010 Street Glide and Road Glide</font>
I like them, saw a clip on an ad for them somewhere, can't remember where, but got just what I expected. The only problem I have now is that the left muffler doesn't get much of the flow which the stock mufflers compensate for by restricting the right side some more than the left. I'm going for some true duals now.
Harley

I have a 2006 Streetbob with a six speed as well. In 6th gear I sometimes notice a high oscillating vibration that surges somewhat. By surges I would say that the vibration get more noticeable and less so with 1/2 to 1 second pulses. I would say it's definitely not an engine or pipe sound. Kinda sounds and feels like it's at the rear wheel but more likely the transmission.

vvrrrrVVVVRRRRvvrrrrVVVVRRRRvvrrrrVVVVRRRR

Not sure if this is what you are experiencing. Or if it is totally indicative of the six speed.

Harley@16, Curious about those Klockwerks slip ons, what do they sound like? Are they true to the description in thier ads?. I ask because I am about to order them for my SG?
As for your vibration, is it speed dependent or RPM dependent ? Meaning can you duplicate it at a given RPM in any gear, or does it have to be at a certain speed. where do you feel it most? footpegs/boards, handlebars, seat of your pants????? High frequency vibration or something slower ?

Back