free website stats program 1st gear problem ???!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

1st gear problem ???!!!

kawarex

I think i have a problem with first gear on my 1990 883 Sportster XLH, as when i set off it jumps and lurches about especially if i give it some gas but doesn't do it in any other gear?? If i take it really easy it's seems ok but i mean really easy, and i have tended to pull away in 2nd gear due to this but it sometimes is a bit of a pain when carrying a pillion.
Any advice would be welcome before i begin to tear it down to inspect the gearbox!!!!:(

If it is not popping out of gear, it sounds more like a clutch issue. (?)

Any bad sounds coming from the gearbox or elsewhere?

What are you using for primary clutch lube.

This maybe way out there but, check the drive belt to make sure it is not loose enough to slip over. Just a thought.:)

Most definitely clutching & it only seems to act-up in 1st gear b/c engine/gear synchronization takes over once rolling so you need little clutching to switch gears. Take other member(s) advice & service the clutch. If you're not able to self-help - time for a dealer/service visit.

Most definitely clutching & it only seems to act-up in 1st gear b/c engine/gear synchronization takes over once rolling so you need little clutching to switch gears. Take other member(s) advice & service the clutch. If you're not able to self-help - time for a dealer/service visit.

ALSO CHECK THE PRIMARY CHAIN ADJUSTMENT...... a lot of times it ADDS to the problem if TOO LOOSE...

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the advice guys it looks like a Haynes manual and a clutch setup/inspection. Theres no nasty noises and if anything the drive belt is a touch too tight, a job for a couple of weeks time i think when the snow decides to disappear!!!

Back