1st gear problem ???!!!

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by kawarex, Dec 31, 2009.

1. kawarex

kawarex New Member

I think i have a problem with first gear on my 1990 883 Sportster XLH, as when i set off it jumps and lurches about especially if i give it some gas but doesn't do it in any other gear?? If i take it really easy it's seems ok but i mean really easy, and i have tended to pull away in 2nd gear due to this but it sometimes is a bit of a pain when carrying a pillion.
    Any advice would be welcome before i begin to tear it down to inspect the gearbox!!!!:(

2. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

If it is not popping out of gear, it sounds more like a clutch issue. (?)

Any bad sounds coming from the gearbox or elsewhere?

What are you using for primary clutch lube.

3. 2000classic

2000classic Active Member

This maybe way out there but, check the drive belt to make sure it is not loose enough to slip over. Just a thought.:)

4. rmarino14

rmarino14 Member

Make sure the clutch is adjusted correctly.

5. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Most definitely clutching & it only seems to act-up in 1st gear b/c engine/gear synchronization takes over once rolling so you need little clutching to switch gears. Take other member(s) advice & service the clutch. If you're not able to self-help - time for a dealer/service visit.

6. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

ALSO CHECK THE PRIMARY CHAIN ADJUSTMENT...... a lot of times it ADDS to the problem if TOO LOOSE...

signed....BUBBIE

7. kawarex

kawarex New Member

Thanks for the advice guys it looks like a Haynes manual and a clutch setup/inspection. Theres no nasty noises and if anything the drive belt is a touch too tight, a job for a couple of weeks time i think when the snow decides to disappear!!!

8. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

What's your Primary lube.

9. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

I think this is a sportster? ,,, IF SO HD's formal+ works good as the tranny and wet clutch share the same bathroom.....

signed....BUBBIE

10. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Guest

Adjust clutch and belt per manual and give her a try