free website stats program 1st gear problem ???!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1st gear problem ???!!!

I've experienced a similar issue with my transmission. The bike is a 97 1200, the problem is at times, not every time but none the less at times, a lurch and a jerking in first gear only. It seems similar to a ratchet that has just seen better days, it will slip a few teeth then grab hold sort of thing.

At other times it will be as smooth as silk. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether the bike is cold or at normal riding conditions. I've taken it to dealers and they can't find an answer and the bike won't cooperate in demonstrating its problem while in their hands, until 10 minutes after I leave the dealership.

The bike is perfectly operational and ridden almost every day. I've changed transmision oil several times each year, I find no foreign matter in the drained oil, there is no "icky" feelings in the transmission once its had its daily fit.

One Harley doctor suggested a pawl may be the guilty item, but I'm not going into the transmission at $65.00 per hour. When it breaks is when its fixed, or if I hit the lotto or Congress returns to working for the people .. .which ever occures first. :D

Back