free website stats program 1964 Duo Glide Restoration (Need Info) | Harley Davidson Forums

1964 Duo Glide Restoration (Need Info)

ShagNasty

Hello All, need some help here, Have a bike thats been keep in a barn since 1975. has a total of 49000 miles, all orginal, everthing there. the rats and dirt dobbers have done their job over the years. Bike cleaned up very well. It will start and idel for a sec....Ok to the point, I need all the Info I can get for restoring. I wish to stay as orginal as possable. complete restoration will take a few years but I have the time. I need repetable contacts for overhauling, chroming, getting parts, the whole 9 yards etc..... anyone that has restored...let me hear from you.....THANKS

If this was me I would do nothing with this bike untill I contacted somone from the AMAC , to be more excact a Judge from the AMAC , this is the reason ,the bike will first need to be looked over to see how original it is ,then from that point a determination can be made weather anything should be done , the bottom line on a Barn find like you have in most cases is worth more just as it sits ,believe it or not the mice and rat patina will fetch more with its original paint then a repaint ,So I will say this again contact a AMAC Judge online send them pics document this bike before you touch it , they will gve you the advice you really need . Good luck, and remember you have a once and a life time find .

I agree that the bike may have potential as is. I remember you live just south of me. Does the Leatherman have any "seasoned" employees that know old bikes? One thing you should have is the book "what fits what". It cross references parts. I have a harley data book, and a police I.D. book, that I can look things up for you. There's also a guy in W.R. (Dano) that knows about older bikes.
I'd like to take a look at it sometime.

here is somthing to concider most bikes are not original, just as today back to the first HDs, guys bought bikes and changed things with custm parts and upgrade parts from the motor company, I have seen 70 yr old barn finds that were rust buckets that had mutiple year and cusotm parts on them , I have seen these untouched barn finds go for 25k , and I have seen same yr full resto bikes with more are about the same level of correctness go for 17k,the reason behind this is that custom or HD upgraded parts that were put on a bike in that particular period of time,will always be woth more then buying repop new parts, period correct custom parts give the bike cool factor from that period in time ,and if the bike was done with upgraded and custom parts that really clicked with the bike , the value goes up if the original owner had a good ability to use custom or HD upgrade parts that gave the wow factor then ,and if he did have that wow factor in his vision it will carry on in to todays market. So the history of your barn find must be looked in to and documented. as a first step . this is just my opinion in the way I look at barn finds.but it shows in the market value on barn finds also.

Crocker makes very good sense, as we all love old bikes and restoration means as original as possible...brass like most metals age with a "patina" that in some cases makes your restoration a work of art in it's own right. Remember that recent thread showing a video of an early 1900's H-D I think...which was left as original as possible that still ran...polishing it up and making it new would have actually detracted from it's "warmth" and appeal...JMHO.

We have a member JDolan who collects shares plenty of pictures of his finds here, many he has left pretty much alone, blems and all which adds and stirs the imagination. Just consider you are maintaining a bit of H-D history and being GREEN by recycling...really sad to think about all the ones that have been lost or crushed.

Thanks Guys for all the input and information. I will dig and pretty much do as advised. I want to do the right thing and get as much detailed information as possable.. I pretty much know the back ground and history on the bike. Bike belong to a family friend, one owner, parked in the barn behind his home. this was done in 1975. that is the last Ga. state inspection sticker on the forks. The only modification I can see or tell for sure is that the exhaust has the fish tail exhaust installed. I would keep a very detailed logbook on this project. I have set aside a folder for all information and contacts sent my way. please keep it coming...Breeze, will try to hook up one day in the future. I have not checked around the Leatherman, visit there about once a month...THANKS GUYS!..when I start this project, i will surely keep it posted. right now major back ground work and research..

Thanks Guys for all the input and information. I will dig and pretty much do as advised. I want to do the right thing and get as much detailed information as possable.. I pretty much know the back ground and history on the bike. Bike belong to a family friend, one owner, parked in the barn behind his home. this was done in 1975. that is the last Ga. state inspection sticker on the forks. The only modification I can see or tell for sure is that the exhaust has the fish tail exhaust installed. I would keep a very detailed logbook on this project. I have set aside a folder for all information and contacts sent my way. please keep it coming...Breeze, will try to hook up one day in the future. I have not checked around the Leatherman, visit there about once a month...THANKS GUYS!..when I start this project, i will surely keep it posted. right now major back ground work and research..

Pictures as you work on the bike a big plus, before and after, make a photo journal if you want JMO:s

you might consider obtaining a copy of Bruce Palmers restoring a harley davidson 37-64, this book is very detailed (Amazon carrys it), and it will answer all your questions, bolt by bolt . its the bible for restos.HD manuals will also help but there not going to tell you things like what bolts are cadium or painted ect ect . hopefully those fishtails are in good shape aftermarket parts like that cant be found ,exhaust parts in general will become a issue for you , everything out there new (repop) will give you fittmint issues. If you have any pictures to post here, would be great Im sure others here including myself would like to see a fresh barn find. good luck and enjoy the resto, for now just keep the rust off, till your plan comes together.

Back