free website stats program 1961 Ironhead Basket case - advice? | Harley Davidson Forums

1961 Ironhead Basket case - advice?

3fenders

I rode rice rockets in my twenties until marriage made me part with my beloved Z1R.

I was given a 1961 ironhead sportster basket case in return for a favor.

Well I'm older, and love old stuff, so I've decided to try & rebuild it. Went to the local HD dealer for advice and was told to run away screamin' and just buy a new bike. Another 'infamous' local HD shop wants $7k to build a 'medium rough' running bike.

I'm
(EDIT) bent on riding it this spring - any advice on where to start? Pretty comes later, right now the basics. Any help is much appreciated!

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community[/URL]

Attachments

• 006 compressed.JPG
    006 compressed.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 007 compressed.JPG
    007 compressed.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 012 compreesed.JPG
    012 compreesed.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited by a moderator:
You have waited this long ,so what the hurry , very nice yr sporty , sportys are easy to work on and build your self and the cost of parts are reasonable and plentyful,Go ahead take the plunge by a manual and get your tools out and build a bike that fits you.

Thanks, I'll look him up. Found a website called sportyparts.biz that seems to offer a wide selection of parts as well.
I'm finding my two first purchases should be an HD manual & a parts list.

first take a look at other older Iron heads and see what you like then start your build , I would not use that frame , go with another frame ,I would go 1957-1969 frame , take the engine down ,send the heads out and have the cases split ,go with new rods n bearings have the shop balance and true for you , have cylinders bored and checked get pistons to fit new bore,check the cams , pull the tranny spec it out replace worn part, then put it back to gether, Its not that big of a deal to do. the manual will answer all yur questions, things you cant do you send out. But a nice fresh rebuild will give you peace of mind.

Keep in mind there is always a reason there are basket cases. Some one couldn't repair it themselves, too expensive or broken. Look in the engine first.

Looks like a fun project. Just take your time and plan ahead what you want to end up with. I also have a 73 ironhead, my first Harley. It's been in storage for ten years, but now it's on the lift and I'm starting to bring her back to life. I have the J&P Cycles Vintage catalog that has a lot of the hard to find parts, e-bay has stuff from time to time and the swap meets are a good resource as well as a great place to meet like minded folks. Good luck and have a ball with your project.

This was sittin in the corner of a freinds shop for twenty years. Who knows why it was parked.

Thanks for all the great advice! I'll go fix the garage heater now & get starterd.

Back