free website stats program 1961 Ironhead Basket case - advice? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1961 Ironhead Basket case - advice?

Just for inspiration, this guy - JW - over on an old, now almost defunkt email list (the HeD) knows what he's doing and built this awesome ironhead (look a bit down on the page).
JW's Garage

And please remember to post pictures for us gearheads as you progress!

I'm finding my two first purchases should be an HD manual & a parts list.
correct me if I'm wrong but you can dl a manual here under the "menujump" dropdown above. I don't know if your manual will be there but its worth a try.

update-
on page 10 of the Manual dl page there is a '59-'69 Sportster manual available to those who have "minimum" posting and site length.

Pull the pipes off the heads and check for broken spigots, now would be a good time to know that, also these early iron heads were famous for blowing out the right side of the tranny case, just saying

agree Jack Tranny thin in the early years ,but easy to pull and do yourself ,just pull the trap door and the whole unit slips rite out , cant do that with the newer sportys no trap door.

That's a magnito on there, and with all that stretchin and rakin had to have had ape hangers on there at one time. But that frame looks a bit bowed at least to me. This Sportster is lucky to have found a home. I'm pulling for the man.

Some will buy parts and wait to they got enough for a day's work then put them on. Committment and Determination . it'll take alot of that. You got a good support group right here on this site. Please take picture's while your in the process and keep us posted. I wish you well..

Back