103 upgrade

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by 67wizard, Mar 28, 2011.

1. 67wizard

67wizard Junior Member

Going to do the 103 upgrade with 255 cams. Should I change the inner cam bearings? If so what is the part number for the Timken bearing, used in a 2010UC. From what I see this is the bearing to use.
    Thanks

2. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

I don't have the numbers but Yes change them.... Also I'd like to Recommend to do the Install of Manual pressure relief valves while going to 103..

The MANY i have talked with and have seen the problem first hand with More compression and hot starting Problems will be Avoided..

If you plan to send the heads out, i would Suggest at Least a "Street Port" and install the relief valves By "Deweys Heads" here in Wa. He has a good shop and reputation, does a good job also fair priced..

He will be doing mine that way when I go 103" and I WILL install the manual PRV.

I have the SE255 in my bike now with full stage One , stock 96" with TFI
    (a must) and like this set-up for now...

signed....BUBBIE

3. flh canuck

flh canuck Active Member

Go down to your local Harley shop and ask for the Screamin Eagle cam bearings. (Timken)

They cost me all of $18.00 for the pair and are cheap insurance although I dont think there are any problems with the later model stock cam bearings either.

As Bubbie suggested, have your heads machined for manual compression releases while they are off.

I had mine done ($180.00 parts and labour to do both heads) and am glad I did. Every once and a while, I forget to press em down before starting and am reminded as to why that was $180.00 very well spent.

Now that I am used to them, its just part of the regular start up routine.

The 103" kit with the 255 cams is a good combination and pulls real hard down low where most of us ride 99% of the time. The engine continues to pull hard past 5000 rpm but I usually shift long before that.

I was impressed with this 103" combo and its a pretty hard to beat for the buck.

4. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Those should be the Torrington B168 roller bearings. Timken bought Torrington. And ABSOLUTELY YES!! Replace those cheap INA bearings.

TQ

5. wstalker

wstalker Member

I had my install done at the local dealer. Is it true you can get better performance having it tuned elsewhere?

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

7. 67wizard

67wizard Junior Member

Thanks guys I feel alittle smarter now. Bike goes in just after the Laughlin River Run for the mods.

8. glenreeder

glenreeder Member

Are you going to do heads? I did the 103" w/255 cams (no heads) and have never had an issue with hard starting/turn-over, even when hot hot hot. If you go with a higher compression you very well may need compression releases but for what I have experienced you will be wasting $$$ w/ comp releases.

9. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Warning here.... It only takes a FEW quick-backs to ruin a starter/compensator on these bikes.. I would not go 103 without PRV....

If you read a lot on Many sites, the mass of opinion is For them.

glenreeder, Not dis-believing you at all, but I have seen first hand, bikes that talk back a lot when they have the same set up as you speak here.

signed....BUBBIE

10. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

If you don't have a Fuel Unit installed in your bike Other Than HD's sert. I'd invest in a TFI or Gen3 and have a bike You can tune and Not need a dyno or tuner tech to do it...

The bike will run Too Lean even after HD does their program tune up..
    IF you go with HD's 500 $$ unit and have it dyno tuned by a tech THEN it will or CAN run great.

Much easier and Less$$ to go TFI or Gen3.. read on this forum of the many Happy bikers that use it..

HDT discount when you order thru Dobecks Desk (live) and If your a Military or first responder You'll get a whopper of a discount.

check to see.

signed....BUBBIE