free website stats program 103 upgrade | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

103 upgrade

It costs very little to install the manual compression releases when the heads are off and is pretty cheap insurance in my opinion.

Some engines need them, some can get away with not having them.

Lotsa guys have not installed them with this combo and regretted that decision, especially considering the work involved to install them later if you discover you do need them.

The stock 96 inch motor pretty much pushes the starting system to the limits as is. Add some displacement to the mix along with high cranking compression due to the 255 cam profile and that starting system is really taxed.

Compression releases will reduce the strain on the entire starting system by a significant amount and should easily pay for themselves in reduced starting system repairs down the road.

Considering what you have invested in your ride, less than $200 bucks is pretty cheap peace of mind.

Warning here.... It only takes a FEW quick-backs to ruin a starter/compensator on these bikes.. I would not go 103 without PRV....

If you read a lot on Many sites, the mass of opinion is For them.

glenreeder, Not dis-believing you at all, but I have seen first hand, bikes that talk back a lot when they have the same set up as you speak here.

signed....BUBBIE

I have the 103" with 255 cams no head work done NO compression releases. I had some starting issues but when I upgraded to the SE Big Twin Compensator all the starting issues went away . I would save the $$$ spent on compression releases and put the $$$ ($249.95) into the SE Big Twin Compensator HD part #40274-08 . The Big Twin Compensator is a better upgrade for the 103 kit then the compression releases, The compensator allows for easier starting and a smoother ride at lower RPM's and better transfer of power from the engine to the transmission. You should have the primary open to put in the clutch upgrade so it would be easy to do the compensator upgrade at the same time.

I did the 103 on 09 road glide, had starting kick backs , changed the compensator to a screaming eagle comp still had severe kickbacks, put ecms in, electronic compression release at much extra cost, it's worth every penny wish I had done it with the kit. was told I didn't need them.

I did the 103 on 09 road glide, had starting kick backs , changed the compensator to a screaming eagle comp still had severe kickbacks, put ecms in, electronic compression release at much extra cost, it's worth every penny wish I had done it with the kit. was told I didn't need them.
That IS WHY I go back after some one post ""not a problem with theirs""..

Not dis-resapecting those who DON"T have a problem BUT MOST WILL have the problem ..SOooooo Get Them INSTALLED you will THANK some one LATER..... I can only Hope it is Me they thank Because they read it Here and changed their mind to INSTALL THEM...

Thanks legnd for you contribution to the YES SIDE..

signed....BUBBIE

According to Big Boyz :
The 255 cam in a 103 .030 gasket ccp is 207.2
The 255 cam in a 103 .045 gasket ccp is 199.8
The Andrews 26H cam in a 103 .045 gasket ccp is 192 ... mine starts well without compression releases.
It depends on ABDC close 255 @ 25* and 26h @ 35*

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

I ask all three dealers in this area plus the dealer doing the up grade and they all say I don't need the compression releases. What a different school of thought around the country. I live in a hot summer place and it not recommended. Wonder why?

I ask all three dealers in this area plus the dealer doing the up grade and they all say I don't need the compression releases. What a different school of thought around the country. I live in a hot summer place and it not recommended. Wonder why?

****I would consider the Buliders Opinion BUT... At 10 bikes built, ONE might not start good... Your Chance, Your choice.

According to Big Boyz :
The 255 cam in a 103 .030 gasket ccp is 207.2
The 255 cam in a 103 .045 gasket ccp is 199.8
The Andrews 26H cam in a 103 .045 gasket ccp is 192 ... mine starts well without compression releases.
It depends on ABDC close 255 @ 25* and 26h @ 35*

Al

Al says a lot right here for the need....COMPRESSION.

Haven't found them Necessary on my 09 with SE255 cams I installed in my 96".
Reason is the Compression is not up High Enough to cause a problem.

If I had the flat top 103 and Yes I'd go with the .030 gaskets, the compression would be over the 205# area... That in its self causes the Too Much for the engine starter/stock compensator to crank-over and also the bike will be Stubborn with the higher compression.. But Compression IS Power....

Al shows the INTAKE Close on the cams and that tell me How much compression is made in the motor....

His 103 build DROPS on compression to a Lower figure that the starting of the HD can operate good at.. 26h,, Cams Out some compression by closing the intake valve Latter.

When your cranking pressures get over 190#, there is That Possibility of the Kick Backs, especially after a short stop like re-fuel and it happens..

The Stock Cams in the HD int. close at 30* (less compression)

in the SE255 close at 25* (more compression).

Al's 26h close at 35* (Less comp. Yet held back) and it shows his pressure as 192# which is a LOT of difference than the 207#.

200/207# is Where a lot of bikes end up when going 103.

If the builder Knows where the compression ends up, and says you don't Need compression releases then YOU make up your mind...

As you see, I have already made up mine.. I'll vote on the Side Of Caution..

On another site I have read a lot. There are Builders, I Mean Builders, They do it for a Living and Racing... I don't think ONE of them that Doesn't recommend compression reliefs when going 103 and SE 255 Cams......

Most of them will say the same thing I do.. Side on the Side of CAUTION..

I'll Quit Beating on a Dead Horse...."YOUR RIDE YOU DECIDE"
"(smitty901)"

My 103" bike will be the one Not Kicking Back when starting at the gas fill-up spot.:D

signed....BUBBIE

I have compression releases on my 103" with SE255 cams. I have flattop pistons and my ccp is 205psi. I use my releases, especially when hot. I've forgotten to use them a couple times and the starter will grunt pretty good. It less expensive to get them now and not need them than not get them and need them.

BUBBIE,

With me it was a case of "measure twice cut once". Hence the 26H's and .045 gasket.
Good idle and plenty of torque where it counts.

Al

Back