free website stats program 09 Street Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Street Glide

JKT1969

For some odd reason I am now experiencing a good case of buffeting. I have had the bike since Oct last year and never had this problem. Maybe I grew, maybe I shrunk...??

Anyways, do you have any suggestions on windshield height? I am 5'11.5". Not sure which height to get. I would rather not look through it, but if I do look through it I want to make sure that my field of view is not close to the top of the windshield (I had that problem before and it bugged me crazy).

Thanks for the info.

KT:cheers

I put a six inch on my classic and I am about the same height.It works well and no problems with buffeting.

I'm 5'11" & put a Klock Werks 6.5" on my 09 SG - wind blows right over my head (no buffeting).:newsmile082:

I am 5'11" with a Mustang solo with backrest & have an OEM Classic windshield on my 12" I think. I can see over it & don't have any buffeting. Might try a Klock Werks in the future?

I have a 8.5 or a 9" harley windshield. I am about 5'6" - 5'7" and I too have been experiencing buffeting, but only when I wear a helmet. I read a post suggesting that when riding if you hold your hand palm down at your chest and this stops the buffeting then the problem is coming from under the fairing. I am pretty sure my buffeting is coming from air blowing under the fairing. I haven't tried putting air deflectors on the fairing, but I think its in my future. As for windshield height. Try what some of the others already suggested. I personally believe that you should just be able to look over the windshield. Looking through it all the time is not good. Windshields get dirty and really obstruct your field of vision. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I will try the suggestions and see what works. It's weird that for almost a year I have had no buffeting, now I get it as soon as I go over 50mph. Plus it is a good time to get a new one anyways with the cold weather on the way.

I had a Yamaha Venture and had to look through that windshield...no good. Impossible to see with any rain.

Here is my 2 cents worth on windshields for the Street Glide. I own several of them. I have the stock 4" which does look the coolest. I have a 14" clear which gives the best protection but looks the worst. My vavorite is the Klock Werks Flare. These come in several sizes (height) and seem to provide the best balance for me.
Perhaps the most key element is how tall one sits in the saddle. Some of the factors include but are not limited to; Seat type and fill, suspension changes (lowered or stretched), front wheel size modifications and the addition or abscence of deflectors on the front faring.
I have Kuryakan adjustable smoked deflectors on the faring. This does actually influence the amount of noise and wind toss you get from the front and adds or diminishes based on the type of windshield. This added with the 6" Klock Werks flare does the trick for me.
Several friends who have changed the front wheel size to the ever popular 21" rim have reported nearly no wind with this combo due to a change in front end ride height thus causing the rider to change position to the more of a slouch position. Many have also modified fork tubes that may lengthen slightly or shorten the total length. This is also a contributing factor. Bottom line may be here: increase the fron ride height and the size of the windshield required to achieve maximum wind noise will increase. Not a hard and fast rule but a general guide.
One of the best ways is to borrow one from a fellow rider for the day and simply try them out for a few hours at various speeds and weather conditions. That is what led me to my final choice. It takes a whole 5 minutes to change out a windshield. Best to spend the time rather than the money first.

Stopped by the Harley dealer during lunch today and checked out a clearview 6.5inch, might be a 6inch. Light smoke. $84. Sold. Also picked the wife up a windshield for her 883L Sporty. It will be a surprise for her, she has no idea.

I am 5'11" as well and am using a 6.5 inch clearview with the recurve...works great for me. You may want a 8" it will work great as well and youll see over it.

Back