free website stats program 09 FXDF Issue | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

09 FXDF Issue

Ok so I talked to the dealer on Thursday and they claim they rode it for about 12 miles and found nothing out of the ordinary. They were going to call corporate tech support to see if they had any ideas.

I know these problems exist. The bike wasn’t doing this before so I just don’t understand why I’m the only one who sees the issues. URRRRRRGH!!!!

The shop probably DIDN'T ride it the same way you did and do...

Where in the RPM range when shifting down does it shake?

Are you using HIGH rpm or normal 2200/3000 on the down shift then shake?

signed....BUBBIE

Ok so I got the bike back last week and I feel like a real (edit) Of course the dealer found nothing wrong but as I was riding it home I think I figured it out.

As I was sitting at a light I revved up a little and noticed that there was a really bad rattling coming from behind me. Looking back I was like what the(edit). I put my hand on the detachable sissy bar. It was shaking like a (edit) I gripped it harder and most of the rattle disappeared.

When I got home I went to work. The screws that mounted the backrest to the sideplates were loose and the screws that mounted to the sides of the fender were loose. After tightening the screws most of the rattling and movement from the sissy bar was gone. The only thing left is the fact the the sideplates are still slightly loose on the mounting bolts, so I'm just trying to figure out how to tighten that up.

I think what was happening is that the detachable sissybar was so loose in so many places that it was causing vibration through the fender and into the frame that it was just traveling forward.

that is my update and before anyone says, I did use loctite but either I didn't use enough or it was just old.

Did I mention the dealer screwed up my gas gauge even more trying to fix it, ARGHHHH!

Language or work arounds are not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see you found what the trained HD mechanics didn't...very unobservant on their part. I definitely would discuss the speedo problem w/their service mgr - if they messed it up it's their job to fix. Had a gas tank scratched during service once & the dealer ended up having to clearcoat & buff it out.

VERY interesting post! I have a 2010 FXDC and had a vibration in mine when hitting bumps.....thought I had a front end problem because I swore the sound was coming from in front of me. In a moment of inspiration I also reached behind me and grabbed the sissy bar tightly and the vibration went away.......amazing that the vibration transfers through the entire frame and sounds like it is coming from a totally different place on the bike! I tightened some bolts on the rack and I'm good to go!

I thought I was having some issues with my 09 FXDF too. When I hit rough spots or big bumps I felt like something was loose. When I rode with out my bags (mounted with ghost brackets) the noise was gone. Even though they lock on the weight of the bag and contents help keep them sitting solid.

I have had the same shake/vibration in my 09 fxd when slowing and realy threw out when excelarating especially noticed since swithing to short shots. I have had the service manager at republic harley ride it more then once said the bike seem realy smooth to him so i took it to a private shop (H&H motors) he road it down the road and back and said he felt exactly what i was talkin about and told me to take it to GO harley. the guys at go harley road it and i can say watchin them take off on it they didnt hold back and they said i felt great and wanted me to go take a new bike for a test ride to compare and they looked it over checked motor monts and checked everything they could without pullin the motor apart . So at this point i got 8 more months under factory waranty and iam just gonna ride it and either buy the extended warenty or at least have it opened up and checked for crank run out before my waranty runs out. from what they told me if i have them check the crank and they find it is past tolarance it wont cost me a thing they will fix the problem but if they check it and it is fine it will cost me around $400. Well worth the peice of mind knowing my bottom end is in good shape

Dave

Back