free website stats program 09-08-07 DTC Codes | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

09-08-07 DTC Codes

You first need to check the sensor for output voltage in stand-alone mode. Disconnect the sensor from the wiring harness. Remove both spark plugs to ease compression. Ground both spark plug wires to the head or frame. Using a high quality voltmeter (preferred one that says "True RMS") measure the AC output of sensor while cranking engine for a few seconds. The AC value must be over 1 volt, but would like to see something in the area of 2 volts or more.

If you get a solid healthy reading, be SURE the female terminals in the sensor connector are gripping the male terminals tightly.

*** Is there ANY chance the two wires coming from the new sensor were reversed?*** from what they were before.

Was the new sensor that you installed a NEW genuine HD sensor.

did test on crank sensor and its showing 3 volts. bike starts and runs fine for about 1 minite then starts to misfire. cleared code and it returns after starting. sorry for delay in replys but busy with work. all connectors are fine.

Remember that the Genuine HD Electrical Service manual was written for Service techs at Dealerships and it was not written for weekend warriors like myself (or us). Therefore the steps in the manual can at times be blunt, nasty and expensive. This is the case in your situation.

If you follow the flow chart for a DTC P0374 in the Electrical service manual it now says to replace the ECM. Remember, they think your a HD tech in a dealership with tons of parts at your fingertips. Flowcharts are not written to trap and solve 100% of the problems 100% of the time. If following a flowchart fixes 90% of the problems, 90% of the time, they are considered to be well written flowcharts. That is the industry standard.

So to re-cap,,,
1) You have Replaced the crank trigger sensor with a NEW GENUINE HD crank sensor.
2) You have measured a SOLID 3 VOLTS AC across the crank-sensor while cranking.
3) You have check the Crank-sensor connector to the wiring harness and it is clean and tight.
4) You have NO other codes other than P0374. No other codes have appeared. P0374 was your starting code and it reappears quickly after it has been cleared.
5) The Bike starts cold and runs OK for a minute at which time it starts to break up,,, the check engine light comes on (current code logged) and when the error log is checked, you find a P0374 DTC.
6) ***Have you made any changes to the wiring harness? Have you added any accessories or cut & tapped into the wiring harness? Have you changed your plug wires or coil to something other than original stock? Have you unbundled or disrupted the wiring harness in any way? Are you running the original factory ECM? Did you make/add/or change anything electrical around the time you found this P0374 error.***

You have to keep in mind a few things. When the service manual says to check the output voltage of the crank sensor, they are using a break out box and you did not. That can make a big difference since you are removing the electrical load (the ECM) on the sensor.

If you want to give up trying to fix it yourself, now is the time to take it into a shop. If you don't want to take it into a shop, answer Each of the above questions and I will give you some additional steps you can take in order to probe a little deeper.

1)yes
2)yes
3)yes
4)no other codes
5)yes
6) no accessories added, or wiring altered, plug wires and coil are original from new. bike was serviced by harley davidson 2 days before fault started. and it is stage 1 with a power commander fitted. shall i try disconnecting power commander and running with stock setup ??? power commander has been on bike for 2 years with no probs.

I would temporarily remove the power commander and get the electrical system back to factory stock. Once the PC is removed, clear the ECM of all codes and start the bike. See if the exact same issue (mis-fire) takes place after a minute or two of running. Plus check to see if another P0374 has posted.

The next thing I would try is measuring the crank sensor output once again only this time while the sensor was still under a load and not "free standing". Take a couple of very thin sewing needles or straight pins and push 1 through each of the wires right at or near the crank sensor connector. Right where the crank sensor connector is, the negative and positive wires should separate just as the wires go into the connector. If the pins are very thin you will not damage the wires.
We are trying to probe the wires while they are still hooked up to the bike. Clip you meter to the two pins. Start the bike when cold and look at the meter reading. Once the bike goes into failure mode, does the reading change or does it remain what it was when the bike was running fine.

I realize the voltage signal you read is a function of RPM and it will change and move around while the engine is running. Do the best you can. Try to measure what the signal level is when cold vs after 1 minute of running or when the engine goes into failure mode.

Since the engine is now running and not just cranking, I would expect the output to be higher than what it was during cranking. If the output voltage "clamps" or goes lower while the bike misfires, it is a Strong indication that the front end circuit in the ECM has a problem.

What we are doing here simulates what a "break out box" does and is more accurate than measuring in free standing mode.

What I would do....
1) Remove PC & test
2) Needle break out box simulator. Measure sensor out in Good vs failure mode
3) Measure the resistance of the each spark plug wire. Check to make sure each is not wide open or above 12K ohms. (I am checking for any big source of RF noise)

See what it yields.

Thanks for posting the steps to check, identify and clear the codes. :) It was very helpful when my 2008 Ultra went in to the Limp Home mode yesterday morning. Codes identifed were P2135 and P1511, both throttle related. I did check to see if there was a part number listed following the codes but none showed.

After resetting the codes and the bike using the ignition switch cycling, I thought all was ok after a short test ride. This morning, the check engine light came on again, this time with the ABS light flashing as well. Looks like a trip to the local shop for diagnostics and repair. :(

Well, I spoke with the dealer and they are telling me that they found nothing wrong with the bike. The tech put dielectric grease on the connectors to keep water off them (bike is not ridden in the rain nor does it sit outside without a cover) and checked for loose wires (found none). All that was done was replace the air filter. Tech said he cleared the locked in codes (P1511 and P2135) and could not get the bike to do the same thing again.
Looks like I may be in for a gremlin chase. :(

Mr. Data, I've been watching this forum for a couple of months now, you guys are great and I've learned a great deal just by reading. I bought a 06 Electra Glide Classic, 88 yesterday with an FI2000 Cobra tuner already installed. The bike runs great, no hesitations in throttle response any where that I can tell, good acceleration on take off, idles around 10k just seems to be a great bike. It had an engine code on when I got it home though. I got on this page this morning in the self help, checked diagnostic codes with the self help instructions and found a P0261 - Front injector Open/Low. Do you think this is a "tuning" or a "tuner" problem? If so do you know where I could get instructions for the tuner so I could retune it properly? I had intended to go to the Dolbeck unit real soon but with this tuner already in place I may just keep it if I can get rid of this code issue. I did clear the code out of diagnostics and restart bike, soon as it starts the code pops back up. Suggestions?

Your Cobra unit is made by the brother of the Dobeck unit and works pretty well. Do you have the bypass resisters in the harness ends to eliminate the 02 sensors from the circuit? If so you have a bad resister and it has to be replaced. Follow the wiring from the 02 sensor back into the bike and see if it is hooked up or bypassed about 6-8" back from the 02 sensor.

Back