free website stats program 07 road king low idle / stalling | Harley Davidson Forums

07 road king low idle / stalling

jerrybombard

Hi all, don’t post much but read every day…I love this forum.
So, on Memorial Day, me and 1600 of my best friends went for a ride, it was HOT !!!
We get ready to leave, and my ’07 RKC is idling VERY slowly. Then it would stall when I came to a stop. Very tough to keep it running, but made it home OK. I thought that the engine temp management must have been kicking in, it was that hot of a day. After the bike cooled some, I went and started it, it seemed to idle OK. Next day, hop on and same low idle / stalling going on. Because of this forum, I cleaned the IAC thru the aircleaner with PB Blaster. That fixed it right up with no problems until yesterday afternoon. Same thing started to happen, low idle / stalling. I should mention hear that yesterday morning, at one point the idle was pretty high, then calmed down again.
So, my question is, is it the IAC or something else needs looking at? Can the IAC be cleaned better if I were to take it off the bike?...I would think not. Also, this bikes idle changes a lot, usually to the lower side, not higher….usually. It can change from one mile to the next.
Suggestions?

Not sure if this appliers or not but I had an '07 Electra Glide that started doing similar things after I'd had it about a year and a half. Had to hold the throttle on to keep it from stalling, sometimes it would not come down from cruise rpm. Restarting the bike would clear things up for a short time then it would act up again. Dealers around here had no idea of what was wrong but would be happy to check it out on my dime. Stopped in at a dealer down in the States and told the service guy about it. He said there was a service bulletin regarding an updated computer software flash and did it right here, no charge, took all of 5 minuets. Bike ran great after that.

Jerry; I think you should use carb. cleaner to shoot through the IAC. PB blaster has stuff in it that may cause a sticky film after the penetrant evaporates. My '07 started doing the same thing Saturday. I shot some carb. cleaner through it, but haven't ridden it yet cuz I tweaked my back later that day.

Not sure if this appliers or not but I had an '07 Electra Glide that started doing similar things after I'd had it about a year and a half. Had to hold the throttle on to keep it from stalling, sometimes it would not come down from cruise rpm. Restarting the bike would clear things up for a short time then it would act up again. Dealers around here had no idea of what was wrong but would be happy to check it out on my dime. Stopped in at a dealer down in the States and told the service guy about it. He said there was a service bulletin regarding an updated computer software flash and did it right here, no charge, took all of 5 minuets. Bike ran great after that.

Same here with my 07 Streetbob, after the reflash no more problems, my bike was doing the same thing, lost its idle now all is good:D

Same here with my 07 Streetbob, after the reflash no more problems, my bike was doing the same thing, lost its idle now all is good:D

Jack; Did the dealer know about the bulletin for the reflash, or did you tell them there was one? My bike is out of warranty, I wonder what they charge to flash.

sorry guys, just got off the phone with the dealer and no service bulliten for the 07 road king. She suggested I look for codes, which I had not done, and I will reclean the IAC with carb cleaner, as suggested here. (was just to lazy to go to the store, so used the PB blaster) I'll keep you posted.

Jack; Did the dealer know about the bulletin for the reflash, or did you tell them there was one? My bike is out of warranty, I wonder what they charge to flash.

Breeze, The dealers are aware of the reflash for the 07 models in fact they were surprised my bike hadnt been done already, it is a Torque smoothing re map, my bike runs like a scalded dog now and idles perfect:D

sorry guys, just got off the phone with the dealer and no service bulliten for the 07 road king. She suggested I look for codes, which I had not done, and I will reclean the IAC with carb cleaner, as suggested here. (was just to lazy to go to the store, so used the PB blaster) I'll keep you posted.

Have them remap for torque smoothing :D

Thecode on my bike wasfrom32899-07d to 3289907h if this helps, the charge would have been90.00 if they hadnt recalled it good luck:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back