free website stats program 04 Sportster Running Rich? | Harley Davidson Forums

04 Sportster Running Rich?

mmesa005

Hello All,

I just purchased a pre-owned 2004 Sportster XL1200R from a private seller. The starter drive clutch was broken so we had to push start the bike to confirm the engine, drive train where ok.

Now that I have replaced the starter, changed the engine oil and filter, transmission oil and adjust primary chain and clutch I was able to take the bike for a longer test drive.

The bike rides well but it feels like it's running too rich as it bogs down a bit on deceleration.

The bike is has a carburetor vs. FI and has a Screaming Eagle Exhaust installed. The air cleaner is stock and the inside of the pipes are black which I believe are indicating the bike is running rich? I suspect but don't know for certain that the jets on the carburetor have been changed but with the stock air filter the engine is not getting enough air?

I did look at the exhaust pipe from a friends Sportster (2001 883) with a Screaming Eagle Stage I kit installed and the inside of his exhaust pipes are clean.

I purchased the bike as part of an estate sale so I have no background and have to figure out what to do myself.

I am looking for some advice and confirmation as to my thinking and what to check and do to get the bike running better.

The bike has 8100 miles on it and is a California bike.

My thinking is to add a Stage I air filter kit and a Stage I carburetor jet kit.

Regards,

mmesa005

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Tank,

Yes, I have located that section and I am reading through the articles. Hoping others will chime in with their experiences and solutions.

Thank you!

mmesa005

I would start with fitting a stage 1 air filter kit and check what jets are currently fitted to the carb
best with the carb to stick to OEM jets rather than fit a dynojet or other kit but this may already have been done so best to open it up and look see what is fitted

Brian

Very rarely will you find a pipe that doesn't have some carbon in it.

As far as what you mentioned...

The bike rides well but it feels like it's running too rich as it bogs down a bit on deceleration.

I wonder if you meant acceleration here?

You have to find the jet sized in the carb before you can go any further with fuel adjustments. See what main jet needle is in the bike too. It may have been substituted for a 27094-88 which will richen up the mixture substantially and may be too much depending on the jet sizes. That needle came from a sporty CV carb without an accelerator pump and it's a bit much for a CV that has an accelerator pump.

The stage 1 will help the engine breathe and you should check the condition of the filter that is installed to see if it is clean.

fin-676, I am ordering a Stage 1 air filter kit (pricey!).

Jack - I definitely have a lot a reading to do, thanks for the link!

glider - I will take the bike for another ride to confirm

All - I greatly appreciated your help!!!

KevinJ - I appreciate the link and will start reading!

BWM 5p - Yes, the bike start cold with no choke

Folkie - It is my understanding that there are aftermarket FI systems that fit these bikes so I wanted to clarify that was not installed

KevinJ - I appreciate the link and will start reading!

BWM 5p - Yes, the bike start cold with no choke

Folkie - It is my understanding that there are aftermarket FI systems that fit these bikes so I wanted to clarify that was not installed

Did I miss something here????:laugh

Where are these replies???

Back