free website stats program 03 Softtail cutting out | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

03 Softtail cutting out

While a agree with moto mundo on checking the positive and negative connections to the battery and frame as a good place to start, I also agree with Hoople and Jack that replacing the original breaker with a larger one is not the best option as it could possibly cover up a problem that could yet create a bigger issue.

My bet is that you have a problem with the ignition switch or the kill switch causing the bike to shut down, both of which may do so without throwing a code.

If you come up empty with any diagnostic codes these are the 2 areas I would start with as being the possible problem.

Im in Patagonia...from Oklahoma with a 2001 Heritage injected with stage I. She's got 49,000 miles on her and has never missed a lick.
Here's the facts on the day she shut down:
5 days before, 200 miles on washboard "rippio" with a lot of dust.
Day of, mid 50's to mid 60's F start to mid 80's by lunch. Ran perfectly.
Stop for lunch about 1 hour. She sat in full sun.
After lunch start up...fine....BUT, no more than 1500 rpm available...cutting, popping. Could have been fuel starved, sounded like a 'water under the distributer cap" senario. Had been using HD fuel enhancer.
We loaded her on a truck and brought her to town. I have to leave her now for a couple of months, I'll be back to continue my ride North. I have 2 days of riding to make Santiago...the nearest scope at a Harley dealer. It will be mid 40's to mid 60's F temperature in mid April.

what do you think is wrong?
What parts should I bring back with me?

Welcome to HDTimeline and your first post. There will be some great help along shortly.

A couple of things here to start, you may try to see if there are any trouble codes triggered.

00-03 HD Codes And Activation - Harley Davidson Community

Secondly, you may try running some Seafoam through it. You can get it at an auto parts store. (That worked for me with my 05 a few years back after sitting for the winter).

And lastly, if you don't have a manual, it is a great help. You can get them at the dealer or even ebay. With it being an 03, ebay is probably a good start.

Best of luck!

Back