free website stats program 03 Softtail cutting out | Harley Davidson Forums

03 Softtail cutting out

nmfatboy

I have a 2003 Fatboy FI. Occasionally, I will be cruising at around 50-60 mph and the bike just cuts out. Electrically. Its like the bike turns off. It always starts right up after I kick it in neutral, but its irritating. Anyone else had this problem? Fixes?

Do you have anymore specific info. What type of mods on bike, was a check engine light on at any time, what was the last service or upgrade done and how long has this been going on?????

, but its irritating.

irritating and Dangerous. As dbmg said, need more info unless you want a list a mile long on things it could be.

If it starts back up, a current check engine light will not be on. But a possibly a historical code could be set. You have to hand check it.

My '01 did this and it turned out to be a combination of the main circut breaker, then eventually a new ECM (Electronic Control Module), to the tune of over $500.00.

When you say it cuts out electrically, are you saying all the lights go out (not even the turn signals function, including the dash lights? Is your bike equipped with Security Alarm system? Have you checked for Diagnostic Trouble Codes? Have you checked the inlet corrogated fuel line hoses in the tank? Sometimes "dead" is not truly...:s

My sportster had similar symptoms once, took it to the dealer under warranty and they said the positve battery cable was loose, they tightened it up, never happened again.

check the positive and negative connections to the battery and frame. and if your bike have a 40 amp. circuit braker change it for a 50 amp.

Back